I need one plane, but which one?

curlyoak

fullsizeoutput_1c0b.thumb.jpeg.1549ef10c70a64d440f1a6708df88534.jpeg

This is a holder for a ships clock. Brass, shaped like a small barrel. I have been asked to make another one. I mostly use power tools. But I have no power tools to make the curved face. The rest is band saw work, no problem. The base is 13" long. No band saw for that. So I was thinking An appropriate hand plane. From there I was thinking rasps then sanding. I am looking for thoughts on my idea of creating that shape and any other ideas that might work. If you like the hand plane idea where can I get one. Not interested in any collectable tools.

I have done in the past the table saw trick with an angled fence and slowly raising the blade after each pass. I did that successfully but was and still am uncomfortable on the safety of that procedure. and a 10" diameter, My saw size, is too small anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Any good company with a high tolerance for quality. I'd say a 4 1/2 would and is my go to plane for any smoothing.  It's the best of a couple of worlds.  It has weight, weight gets you a little closer to the wood, and a good size footprint, keeps ya kinda level.

You are looking for a plane made for the concave? You are looking for something like this. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263833625541

Also, multiple straight passes in line with the table saw blade can remove the bulk to get you closer. I understand the unease with that diagonal cove cut. 

PS I am not the most experienced with hollows and rounds. Maybe Tom will chime in with what those planes are worth paying for. 

Coop, I would need a 13" throat on the band saw. Maybe the table saw though.  This is a straight shot so I don't think a compass plane will help. I think the compass plane is used in circular situations like a wooden wheel. Tpt, that stuff looks like antiques. I looked at the 4 1/2 planes. I was thinking the blade would need to be bull nose like in shape. With the 4 1/2 the blade is straight so how does that get into the concave shape. One of the 2 antique planes I think is the tool needed.

Tpt, Yes that is the idea.The project will not cover the cost and I do not expect to need it again. I bet this was factory made in volume. It probably was a big shaper. The width of the cove is about 5". The depth is about 3/8" in the center. I know this is the hand tool section but what if I hogged out as much as I can kerfing it with my table saw and cleaning it out with rasps? scrapping? Then sanding? 

Thanks

Honestly? I’d go to a millwork shop and dig through their discard bin before that. Rasps will suck without a cranked handle on a 13” length.

Next I’d suggest a curved sole spokeshave or seat carving scorp. I might even heavily camber a blade on a 3 or 4. The thing there is you’d likely want to apply a round sole to a bench plane to match the camber and provide support as you are after more of a finishing process. 

I carved a pattern that required a cove-like depression using bench chisels to hog out the bulk and then refining the curves with a combination of sanding and curved scrapers.  The finished product was quite smooth and even.  The point was to use whatever you have for bulk removal and then take your time with scrapers to get the profile you want.