Wood identification help

Cadyfatcat

Wondering if someone could help ID this wood I have. I picked up the logs I cut this board from curbside in Brooklyn NY, which means it could be anything since NYC plants many native and non native species along its streets. It feels like a medium density/weight hardwood - definitely heavier than Pine/fir but lighter than Oak/Ash, can very slightly score it with my fingernail. The bark is very much well attached to wood. Grain of the wood is very smooth and fine. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

IMG_4350.JPG

24 minutes ago, Cadyfatcat said:

Yea perhaps, it seems a bit dark with a more reddish hue and I believe heavier than the Poplar I am familiar with though

There are various species of poplar than the typical poplar sold by lumber dealers. The lumber dealers don't actually sell a true poplar but instead it's the Liriodendron genus instead of the Populus Genus. Weight isn't the best measure either beings that moisture and a lot of environmental factors can impact that.

This is some white poplar that i have or Populus Alba. The best identification is clean high resolution end grain pictures Like those on the website i linked to above.

7982153603183478512.thumb.jpg.9051b2b028c02872401b6950ec12230e.jpg

Wood database article on Poplar

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/poplar-cottonwood-and-aspen-whats-what/

I am digging this Linden / American Basswood theory from @Tpt life - the description of texture/grain and images I am seeing online look very similar, bark and everything.

Also it seems Lindens /Basswood are very very prevalent in NYC/Brooklyn where I retrieved this according the the NYC tree map - which reinforces the theory...

basswood.thumb.jpg.bac6f1c4dbac6170b1a40f6381fd472e.jpglinenmap.thumb.jpg.1ef9d4063d1a053ae312bd645def556f.jpg

It looks like cottonwood to me, which is pretty common here in the plains out in the rural areas.   It's a fast growing tree often used in wind breaks.  My grandfather's farm in Iowa had a ton of them, and his  barn was made from cottonwood planks they harvested locally.

You used to see these in urban areas prior to the car becoming popular, but the seeds they drop tend to make a mess and I think many urban areas even ban their planting now.   I looked at that NYC tree map and there is 400 of them in the entire city, so I'd say that's pretty rare.   But given the tree isn't that old... maybe it had become a nuisance and was removed?