I got lucky at Northern Tool

Goober

I've been needing/wanting a good straight edge for setting up tools for a while. I was looking at 48" levels and started putting 2 edge to edge looking for light shining through and used a feeler guage. I had to go through their entire stock but I finally found them.The employees thought I was nuts but it worked. I got a dead flat 48" straight edge for 20 bucks.

Oops, I left out a important detail. I was flipping one of the levels end over end and checking both sides. The one I ended up with is a box extrusion with the outside edges milled flat. None of the name brand I beam type were straight.  My neighbor/machinist said it had to be dead flat to do that.  I still think it was funnny the way some of the people were looking at me. Kinda like somebody was gassy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

Would work for me.   I got some strange looks once, when I was sitting in the floor in Lowes measuring wooden dowels with a digital micrometer.

Had you been in our Walmart and I had seen ya, it would have been on YouTube by now  ;)

• Haha 2