New jointer season? I think so.

bleedinblue

As far as the portamate 3550 goes... I just bought the Felder ad941 replacing a minimax FS350 that I have had for 25yrs, used it maybe 5 years in my biz until I shut it down and then just for hobby, sidework. I was planning on buying the felder mobility kit but I hate how it rolls from the long edge - I am sure it rolls fine but awkward to move around in a 2 car garage shop I don’t plan on moving it around much but I will need to move it ocassionally. I have 2 of the 3500 and they have worked out well, I like the 4 wheel design because you can somwhat level it on the 4 corners, my floor has a slight slope to it.

The issue is that the planer base is not a perfect rectangle, the rear of the machine is about 6’’ shorter than the front which will leave it only resting on the corner of the base about 1.5” (the corner plate on the 3550 is about 3.75 x 3.75 and the Machine is arount ~1200pds I was going to bring it to a metal fab and have a plate welded in but i don’t have time so I was thinking of using 3/4” BB ply instead.

Maybe I should just stick with the mobility kit, I do like system based items as I know they were engineered to work with the peice of equipment, some things better than others...

Any experiance or opinions would be appreciated  

thanks!

You can add 3/4 plywood to the 3550 and that will address keeping the machine supported by the 3550.  You might be able to go with 1/2" since the plywood is only back up and is not structural to the mobile base, either.  

The mobile base is going to elevate the ad941.  The plywood will add to that.

Thanks, for the suggestions, i did a layout and very little will be supported in the front.

thinking if i bolt a full sheet of 3/4” Baltic Birch to the plates it might be enough but not sure. Assuming the load is evenly distributed (it’s probably not) its only 300ish pounds on each corner, the concern would be the moment on the front edge of the plate from the force. But there os enough room to bolt it which would stiffen it.  My issue is time and I don’t have a welder...4D484B12-4936-45E0-B578-029F174FF423.thumb.jpeg.44f90461f514f779b0890057f8f4b211.jpeg

Assuming the 941 stands on 4 feet, one in each corner of the machine, then i believe a single layer of 3/4 plywood will be all that you need.  You can fasten the corners of the plywood to the corners of the 3550 easily enough, but even if you don't I believe there would be very little flex.  It is not that BB won't flex, but assuming 4 feet there will be no load in the center of the plywood.

What does the 941 weigh?

On 12/9/2018 at 2:42 PM, Mark J said:

Assuming the 941 stands on 4 feet, one in each corner of the machine, then i believe a single layer of 3/4 plywood will be all that you need.  You can fasten the corners of the plywood to the corners of the 3550 easily enough, but even if you don't I believe there would be very little flex.  It is not that BB won't flex, but assuming 4 feet there will be no load in the center of the plywood.

What does the 941 weigh?

Not worried about the plywood flexing, the front is only supported by about 1” of metal which is not supported, Like you I think bolting a full sheet of bb will be good enough to transfer the load well enough.

however i just played around with my current pm3500 that my minimax fs350 is on and when you fully engauge the lever and the jointer becomes supported by the adjustable support there is quite a bit wiggle due to the mechanism aceptable for my current setup but not for the Felder. The minimax is about 700pds the felder is like 1340pds. I did find a work around buy using wedged to firm it up, use a wedged under foot engauge lever then put wedge under frame and disengauge lever the machine is now suvvorted by the wedge and not the wheels or foot on the 3500. Sounds like a hassle but it took seconds and i think its better than the alternitive which is their “carriage” which I like because it would be sitting on adjusting feet and is engineered to work with the jointer, but hate the plate mount in the front (looks only) and that the wheels are on the long edge which makes manuvering a battle ship difficult, would work for now but when i get the 700 slider down the road...

• Like 1

I know this is a long thread, but here's my 2 cents. . .

1. I'd stay away from combo machines at all costs.  No really!

2. I'm not sure what you are building that requires boards wider than 6" to build.  And if you do run in to the need once in a while you can still use your 6" jointer to flatten up to a 12" board using this method:  https://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/joinery/wideboards

3. Bottom line, I'd keep your 6" Ridgid, make sure it is setup correctly, learn how to install straight knives (it's not really that hard) and spend your money on another machine you don't have.  

4. Getting rid of a lunch box type planner would be high on my list to start with, then save for a small wide belt thickness sander  (now that's a machine you'll never be sad you put in your shop!)

Just my 2 cents.

Enjoy the journey.

Q