New jointer season? I think so.

bleedinblue

I just wish I'd been told that the CC charge was (80%) refunded a few days ago.  Had I not read the receipt carefully or had I not emailed Liz, neither of us would have known they still needed payment to get the shipment rolling. 

I know it'll work out in the end, just first world inconveniences. 

2 hours ago, Woodenskye said:

I have heard this happen to others, I would be frustrated as well.  I really don't see why a company seems so reluctant to take a CC for the entire purchase.  Hope you get it sorted out. 

becuase its 3% to the CC company instead of in their pocket...having said that you would think a company as large as this would have that figured into their pricing it is 2018 LOL

In the end once he has the machine all this will be forgotten at least I hope so.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

becuase its 3% to the CC company instead of in their pocket...having said that you would think a company as large as this would have that figured into their pricing it is 2018 LOL

In the end once he has the machine all this will be forgotten at least I hope so.

I get the processing fee, but the way they handle this makes them look like a small company selling at a swap meet.  Your buying a $4000 machine and the fee is $120.  I mean they could just say upfront if your paying by credit card we will be charging you the 3% fee or you can pay by check or EFT and only pay the 3% for the 20% CC deposit. 

You're right, in the end it won't matter if it meets or exceeds expectations 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

I get the processing fee, but the way they handle this makes them look like a small company selling at a swap meet.  Your buying a $4000 machine and the fee is $120.  I mean they could just say upfront if your paying by credit card we will be charging you the 3% fee or you can pay by check or EFT and only pay the 3% for the 20% CC deposit. 

You're right, in the end it won't matter if it meets or exceeds expectations 

Agreed

On 11/16/2018 at 11:25 PM, Woodenskye said:

Very murky waters around passing credit card processing fees to the customer.  Some states don't allow it.  Some credit card companies don't allow it.  But what you can do no problem is go the other way around and give people a discount for paying another way.  But you have to advertise the price as including the fees.

And at the end of the dance, how much time did they have to pay their employees trying to avoid the fees while annoying the customer? 

4 hours ago, Chestnut said:

So when is the estimated delivery date? I haven't purchased a new woodworking machine in 2018 so i have to live through others.

I'd like to know also!  The last update I got was Wednesday.  I was told the machine is ready for pickup by the shipping company, and theyll update me when it is picked up. 

I've felt like a 15 year old girl waiting for a boy to call, and I get excited every time the phone rings...only to be let down when it is xxx company advertising black Friday sales. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Hey, Blue you mentioned somewhere in these posts that you were going to use a Portamate 3500 mobile base.  Did you buy that already?  If not you might want to look at their 3550 model, too.  

Yup, already have the 3500.  I'll Google it and likely find it before you answer, but what's the difference? 

11 minutes ago, bleedinblue said:

Yup, already have the 3500.  I'll Google it and likely find it before you answer, but what's the difference? 

4 retracting swivel casters instead of 2 swivel casters and 2 fixed wheels.  So when retracted there are 4 non-rolling points of contact and when rolling itcs easier to maneuver. 

8 minutes ago, Mark J said:

4 retracting swivel casters instead of 2 swivel casters and 2 fixed wheels.  So when retracted there are 4 non-rolling points of contact and when rolling itcs easier to maneuver. 

Gotcha, yeah, that would have been preferable.  Ideally though, once this thing is in place it won't be moved very often at all...like...ever.

I do groan every time I move my table saw, which is about once a year, because the casters are all fixed and it will only roll one direction.  Such a dumb design. 

If you don't need the 1500 lbs capacity of the 3550 you could buy two smaller units (or just another one of whatever you already have) and swap out the stationary wheels for the castered wheels.  Leaves you with extra parts that probably are of no use, but you get 4 swivelling casters and 4 non-rolling points of contact when parked.

Got tracking info this morning.  ABF again.  Theyre the company that held my Supermax last year for several days without contacting me to schedule delivery.  It LOOKS like the Hammer may already be in town.  I had to search for my emails to ABF from last year to get an email address, but I got on it early this time.  Hopefully it'll be delivered in the next couple days. 

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 10:53 AM, Chestnut said:

I only have 2 wheels steering on my jointer and it's manageable but it's like trying to drive an 18wheeler in my shop. Your jointer is a bit smaller so it shouldn't be a ton different than what you have now. The 4 swivel wheels would be nice for a monster jointer though.

I would prefer two fixed wheels on my 8" BC. 4 swivel casters is a bear to drive from one end of it. It would be better for one end to steer.

22 minutes ago, Damon777 said:

I would prefer two fixed wheels on my 8" BC. 4 swivel casters is a bear to drive from one end of it. It would be better for one end to steer.

That all depends on the individual shop layout, the machine, & where it needs to be parked. 4 swivels give maneuverability, but makes for a wild ride if it needs to go to the other side of the shop.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:31 PM, drzaius said:

That all depends on the individual shop layout, the machine, & where it needs to be parked. 4 swivels give maneuverability, but makes for a wild ride if it needs to go to the other side of the shop.

My jointer is 84" long. It's way easier to maneuver from one end, and the 4 swivels make it a bear to steer at times.