New jointer season? I think so.

bleedinblue

There is a seller, from California,  on ebay that is really good at communicating about VFD's.  If he doesn't know the answer, he'll get one of his engineers to contact me directly.  I only have two so far, one for a 4.4hp bandsaw, and one for the 10hp air compressor.  These are just the cheap Chinese ones, but so far, never a hiccup.

I bought those before I knew that Jack Forsberg was selling them, and maybe the first one before he started.  If I need another one, I'll contact Jack first.  I don't know how his prices are, but I'd be willing to pay a little more to get one from him, even though no complaints with the Chinese ones.

I'm actually looking for someone who wants to swap a 3-phase motor for a single phase one on an 1150 drill press, so I can put a VFD on it for speed control.  It's an older, belt swapping one, but I really like it.

As for customer service, and whether or not they are reading this... they aren't. Felder left all social media last year when people got upset about not reading their agreements with facebook. They are honoring their sale because of great customer service.

I've had the absolute best experience with my rep. Always answers the phone when I call, or calls back the same day. My machine was literally slid off the back of the delivery truck and was and is in perfect calibration. No issues whatsoever. YMMV with a cheaper machine. 

• Like 1

For what's it's worth, my dealer delivered my A3-31 HH straight into my garage, perfectly calibrated.  this was 2 years ago and I haven't had to do anything to it since then.  I'll likely be rotating the cutters this week as a couple seem to have chips in them and I've got some important milling to do soon.

Overall, I have nothing but good things to say about this machine.  I can't speak to customer service, other than the original delivery, as there simply hasn't been anything to call about.

8 hours ago, Llama said:

As for customer service, and whether or not they are reading this... they aren't. Felder left all social media last year when people got upset about not reading their agreements with facebook. They are honoring their sale because of great customer service.

I've had the absolute best experience with my rep. Always answers the phone when I call, or calls back the same day. My machine was literally slid off the back of the delivery truck and was and is in perfect calibration. No issues whatsoever. YMMV with a cheaper machine. 

I don't REALLY think she was reading this.  It was just coincidental she finally responded after I made the post. 

I'm still willing to buy the hammer, but I'm not settling for the 26 and I'm not crossing the $4k mark. 

I'm not being an idiot for choosing straight knives and 12 inches over a spiral head and 10 inches am I?  That little bit of self doubt is what's keeping me from putting my foot down and telling her to put in the order or I'm walking.

Realistically the ~140 pound weight difference would make it easier to move into the shop, and the smaller space requirements of the 26 would be helpful...

Frank you don't want to feel like you "settled" for something you didn't really start out to buy.  I really don't see a problem with the straight knives.  The ones on my Powermatic are outstanding and I would hate to thing that something that you would get from Hammer would be less quality then that.  You're using this machine as a hobbyist.  Its not like you are going to run miles of lumber per year through this machine.  

Get what you want or go else where but I would really want to talk to her supervisor before you leave. Its important the company knows why they lost a sale.  Thats a lot of money she is chasing away from the company.  She is probably trying to pump her commission but a zero sale creates a zero commission 

• Like 1

Minimax is far behind the curve on their combos. I don't consider those to be in the same league.

Frank... don't settle.. Get the Felder ;) ok... in all seriousness the newer Hammer machines are very nice. If I were on a tighter budget when I bought mine, I'd be very happy with the Hammer. And yes, the 10" isn't enough... Go for the straight 12" if the extra money for the spiral is a deal breaker. Plenty of people swear by those. 

In all honesty, I spent around 6K more to get a more robust machine, longer beds and because I didn't want the hand crank planer. Oh, and the comfort guard is amazing. I've often wondered if I would be overall happier if I grabbed the Hammer unit and the Hammer sliding saw instead of the AD941 and a Grizzly tablesaw... if hindsight is any indication I'm selling my TS ;) 

1 hour ago, Llama said:

...I've often wondered if I would be overall happier if I grabbed the Hammer unit and the Hammer sliding saw instead of the AD941 and a Grizzly tablesaw...

Maybe before having the 941 but now that you have had that machine for a while no way...heck every time I change over I think I really need to get a Felder and I only played with your machine for like five minutes LOL

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Maybe before having the 941 but now that you have had that machine for a while no way...heck every time I change over I think I really need to get a Felder and I only played with your machine for like five minutes LOL

I was trying to play sort of devils advocate. I catch a lot of poop for saying people need a 12K jointer... even though I think they do ;) :ph34r: I know I wouldn't be happy with the Hammer.. but I'm in a different position than most folks. So it's very hard for me to offer advice. 

• Like 1

It's the 12 inch with the straight knives, it's always been the 12 inch with the straight knives, lol.

I could be happy with the 10 with the spiral.  Or I could use a 11 inch wide board and cuss myself.  I don't really agree with her that if I go straight knives I'm going to regret it in the future.  Sure the spiral would be nicer, but I've been NEARLY satisfied with a 6 inch home depot jointer for years.  If the straight knives had to be set like traditional knives, I might think otherwise.  The quick set feature does it for me though.  Make it easy for me to change the blades and I'll keep them sharp enough for good performance.

I'm going to tell her what I want, again, and if she keeps jacking me around I'm going separate machines. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Llama said:

Minimax is far behind the curve on their combos. I don't consider those to be in the same league.

Mel, if you compare a MM FS41 to your Felder, I would wholeheartedly agree with you, but comparing to the Hammer the MM is right there.  The Hammer may have a better list of upgrades (technology) but that's about it.

26 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

Mel, if you compare a MM FS41 to your Felder, I would wholeheartedly agree with you, but comparing to the Hammer the MM is right there.  The Hammer may have a better list of upgrades (technology) but that's about it.

The fact you have to remove the fence to change from jointer to planer takes the Minimax out of contention.

• Like 1

Still jumping through hoops.

Sent the signed contract with CC info on Tuesday night.  Wednesday morning she replies and says only 20% of the charge can be applied to the CC, the rest needs to be paid by check.  I complete an authorization form for an electronic check, but as I send it I get an email saying all charges were applied to my CC.  Liz confirmed that and said we were done.  My CC was charged the full amount. 

Today I got an email confirming the purchase, saying only 20% was paid and the rest would need to be paid by check.  Emails back and forth all day today and Liz confirmed that the charge should have been reversed on my CC and when that is confirmed she'll process the electronic check.  I can't confirm the CC was credited back with the 80% until I get off work tonight at 2100.  It's Friday, so that means she won't process payment until Monday at the soonest. 

Holy crap.  Literally, just take my money and send me the dang machine. 

I had really hoped to take delivery next week since I'm off work all week, but I doubt that'll happen now.