Free wood, is this Red or White Oak?

craymer

1 hour ago, craymer said:

Just to be sure I am figuring correctly, if I have a board that is 10" wide x 10' long x 1.5" thick, it would be

10x10 = 100 x 1.5 = 150 / 12 = 12.5 board feet?

Correct. I usually break everything down to inches and divide by 144

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One trick we boat builder's use is to place a small chunk of end grain is a small saucer of rubbing alcohol. If it is Red oak it will immediately suck up the alcohol through the grain and by capillary action seep out the topside of the piece. White oak is much more tight and will not do that so readily. Try it, it's kinda fun to watch./

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 4:46 PM, B. Brinkley said:

One trick we boat builder's use is to place a small chunk of end grain is a small saucer of rubbing alcohol. If it is Red oak it will immediately suck up the alcohol through the grain and by capillary action seep out the topside of the piece. White oak is much more tight and will not do that so readily. Try it, it's kinda fun to watch./

Seems I just read this note on FB last week too. A great test for newbies...

The blue-collar guy in me wanted to say to pick up an 8' board. If it's "weighty" it's likely red oak. If it's (cough, cough, excuse me here...) heavier'n he!! then it's white!

• Haha 1