Free wood, is this Red or White Oak?

craymer

I have been building sheds for a number of years as well as many renovations at home, but a novice a woodworking. I am acquiring tools a bit at a time and also picking up deals I find on Craigslist, such as the 24 sheets of random plywood (some 1/2", 3/8", 3/4", some are MDF and OSB, but most good plywood, many are S2S) for $200.

Well, a few weeks ago a friend called me doing a renovation to the Attorney general's office and had this wood for me. All of these boards are 9.5" wide and lengths ranged from 4' to 14' and all are 1.5" thick. I think it is Red Oak but not certain and am wanting to learn to joint wood to retread my stairs with some of it.

20181030_170419.jpg

20181030_170018.jpg

6 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Assuming you know how to determine bf, but that looks like cajillion bf to me. Nice haul! 

Attorney General’s office? So that’s where our tax payers money is going? :D

Yes, I believe I calculated it correctly.

I added up the total length of all boards x width of wood x thickness and divided by 12.

Width in inches x Length in feet x thickness / 12

10 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Coop he had length in feet so you divide by 12. For length in inches you divide by 144. Also for 6/4 like he has multiply by 1.5. 

Just to be sure I am figuring correctly, if I have a board that is 10" wide x 10' long x 1.5" thick, it would be

10x10 = 100 x 1.5 = 150 / 12 = 12.5 board feet?