craymer

Free wood, is this Red or White Oak?

I have been building sheds for a number of years as well as many renovations at home, but a novice a woodworking. I am acquiring tools a bit at a time and also picking up deals I find on Craigslist, such as the 24 sheets of random plywood (some 1/2", 3/8", 3/4", some are MDF and OSB, but most good plywood, many are S2S) for $200.

Well, a few weeks ago a friend called me doing a renovation to the Attorney general's office and had this wood for me. All of these boards are 9.5" wide and lengths ranged from 4' to 14' and all are 1.5" thick. I think it is Red Oak but not certain and am wanting to learn to joint wood to retread my stairs with some of it.

20181030_170419.jpg

20181030_170018.jpg

It's hard to tell, but if I were to guess, I'd say white oak.  The endgrain pores are not as open as red oak.

Do you have a closeup of the end grain and also better pic of the face grain? End grain looks too closed pore for red oak and color looks darker than either oak. 

Looks like red oak to me, maybe a coupe more pictures of the face of the boards would help, the end grain kind of looks like white oak to me 

8 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

I’m leaning more toward red oak, grain structure on that las end grain shot

5 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Red for sure, based on that last photo.

Thanks guys, what I was guessing from pictures, but wasn't sure.

Assuming you know how to determine bf, but that looks like cajillion bf to me. Nice haul! 

Attorney General’s office? So that’s where our tax payers money is going? :D

6 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

Assuming you know how to determine bf, but that looks like cajillion bf to me. Nice haul! 

Attorney General’s office? So that’s where our tax payers money is going? :D

Yes, I believe I calculated it correctly.

I added up the total length of all boards x width of wood x thickness and divided by 12.

Width in inches x Length in feet x thickness / 12

Divide by 144.  12” wide x 12” long divided by 144 = 1 bf. Dang, I hope that’s right? :ph34r:

Edit. Assuming the board is 4/4. 

Coop he had length in feet so you divide by 12. For length in inches you divide by 144. Also for 6/4 like he has multiply by 1.5. 

Red oak is only good enough for low level prosecutors. Attorney General wants Walnut or Mahogany as befits his/her perception of status.  

Black dye on oak followed by a clear topcoat is a nice look. All the grain patterns show quite nicely. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, estesbubba said:

Coop he had length in feet so you divide by 12. For length in inches you divide by 144. Also for 6/4 like he has multiply by 1.5. 

Just to be sure I am figuring correctly, if I have a board that is 10" wide x 10' long x 1.5" thick, it would be

10x10 = 100 x 1.5 = 150 / 12 = 12.5 board feet?