Repositioning tools and a small shop update

Pwk5017

Shop looks great if a bit crowded.  I'm jealous of quite a few tools !

The white  laminated aluminum lined slatwall holds quite a heavy load but the sheets sell for over $150 each. I had to hang a dozen sheets at a Macy's department being re-vamped. Contractor had 18 sheets delivered , department head insisted that we take all the scraps and leftovers away immediately. Who was I to argue ? Big box of chrome slatwall brackets was amongst the haul too.  3 sheets are covered in clamps and we all know how fast the weight piles up hanging clamps. 

Well clearly the Felder is in the wrong space.  I'll PM you my address :).

Even if I had an overhead view I would probably be of no use.  I reorganized my own shop in October -- and made it worse. 

The only suggestion I'll make is to consider putting the PM table saw on a mobile base' specifically the Portamate 3550.  It is very robust, and has either four points of contact or four steering casters so it is very stable and also very easy to maneuver over the short distances you would have to move the saw for occaisional long work.  It's a pain to have to move machinery, but this would be the least painful.  

Unfortunately the 3550 is pricey, but It's the only model in their line that has 4 wheel steering.  An alternative that might be cheaper is to get two portamate 2500's and take all four steering casters from the 2 boxes and make up one mobile base.  You'd have a lot of parts leftover, but it might be cheaper than the 3550.  It would be less robust, but probably strong enough.

A guy invented Slatwall in 1964 (I think) & got it patented. But he had a hard time enforcing it because copiers varied the design just enough to get away with it. Thus many brands with varying quality.  The cheaper & lighter panels are only intended for display not merchandising qualities of products. A stab & twist of a knife in the edge will give you an idea how strong the sheet is. There are several different grades of MDF, some are sold as HighDF. 

As far as the slatwall goes, my brother in law paid big bucks for his garage. He’s into cars and his garage looks better than most people’s living room. He paid $150-200 a sheet. It’s anodized aluminum, I think. I know it holds a lot of weight. To me, I can’t see myself spending $1500+ to put up slatwall. Yikes. 

I seriously considered a mobile base, but the ones I’ve used before just suck. They didn’t wheel well, and most importantly they weren’t stable. I hate when things rock and wobble. That’s half the reason I put the money and effort into the 72. With the optional 36” CI wing, I think it’s pushing 950lbs. I don’t want to compromise that stability. I am out of town for the rest of the week, but I did briefly play with moving things last night. The bandsaw is now tight to the wall with only 4’ of outfeed, but I think I’ll appreciate the repositioning. The cabinet saw can now rip 9.5’ and still leaves full travel for the sliding table. The bandsaw is on an integrated mobile base that actually moves pretty well and is stable. Anytime I work something longer than 4’ I can wheel it in front of the door. 

I wish there was an official guide or standard configurations to follow. I think too many people make it out to be highly individualized and specific, when really there are just good practices to follow. For example, nesting a jointer and planer makes work easier. The outfeed of the jointer sets your material up for the indeed of the planer. Back to back saws is another example. 

• Like 1