Gems of Harbor Freight

Nick2cd

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the HF set of Forstner Bits works fine for as little as I use them.

I also have a few of their air tools and as of yet they have been going strong for over 6 years so I cant complain.

The throw away chip brushs work alright to.

Have got a few tarps from there to and they have held up just fine.

I have one of their big floor standing drill presses. Works great, no runout or anything. I think I paid like $150 for it on sale. Rubber floor mats. Small compressor (oiled, NOT oil-less..)... had it for years. Their air hose adapters and related stuff are cheap and work well. I have about 20 of their free little flash lights. I got a magnetic base flexible LED light for $10. The same ones everyone else sells for $50. I haven't seem them there in awhile though. Got a bunch of their orange clamps... they are ok if you don't need a ton of clamping force. If you squeeze too hard the guts of the clamp explode. Router table insert... $20 for the exact same thing everyone else sells for $30+. $2 rubber mallets are nice. $2 dead blow hammer works well. Those $1 4-in-1 screwdrivers work ok as "disposables". Got their fancy "woodworkers" bench vice with the quick release. Works just fine. Something new I found was these tiny little rotary rasp things which work great for inlays. Their quality seems a little too high for what you'd expect find there. :) Their digital calipers are pretty nice but they eat batteries pretty quick. You can get the batteries in bulk on ebay for a few bucks. Spent a couple bucks on some chisels to scrape some crap off my garage floor. Sharpened up nice on my Worksharp but they don't hold an edge too well (though I don't know anything that would being scraped on concrete). My wife bought a metal hamburger patty smasher thing. I picked up that little 105 piece tool kit to take to work. I work in computers and networking so the tools don't have to be all that tough. Plus it was cheap which is good because no tool seems to last in my office for more than a month or two. No sense buying anything nice to take in. I'm looking at their HVLP sprayer. Rockler has the exact same thing for a lot more money.

People always give me gift certificates to there so its easy to gamble on some things.

I'm a little late posting on this, but I have several tools from HF that I use regularly and I haven't had any problems from them. While most of them are for auto mechanics, (torque wrenches, bearing pullers, seal insert's, air compressor, etc) I also have several of their F clamps that work fine for the things I build and their 12" csms that I use on nearly every project. For the benefit of largecar, the saw has worked flawlessly for over 5 years. I also have one of their air brush kits that I find to be great.

Hi, I was just there yesterday and bought a 1/4" and 5/16" dowel centers set. (Hopefully these will help me more easily align my drawer faces on the drawers I'm building). They both come with (4) dowel centers, a drill bit, dowels and a stop collar. They were $2.99 a set. Home Depot sells a similar set, but they only have (2) centers included and it's more than $5. I have been looking at their 6" jointer (the green one), and though the site's reviews are pretty good on it, when you see it up close, well, it's no powermatic. Still to be decided.

I also have the dead blow, and have been very satisfied with it.

I have a box of Nitrile gloves, the second I purchased from them. (The first came to an incongruous end due to mold from a basement leak.)

I have the 18 guage combo nailer, but never used it; my compressor is borrowed and is ok for airbrushing model planes or filling a bike tire, but sucks for everything else.

I have a lot of their quick clamps, and (as previously stated) are great budget friendly clamps, but little more than that.

I have two extension cords from their, rated for 14 guage, that I use occasionally. Also one 4 outlet surge suppresor power strip that is dedicated to one tool. I figure it's easier to replace one strip than the outlet and the wiring, should it ever trip.

I like the acid brushes, the paint filters for the spray guns, the can liners for the spray guns, the zip ties in various sizes, and the o-ring sets (for use as disposable depth stops), the previously mentioned batteries, the flashlights, the smaller c-clamps, and the tarps. These I consider disposables; if I get one use out of them, I'm thrilled. I expect to replace them after every use.

I avoid their sand paper; I get better abrasion out of my socks. Also, I avoid their spring clamps, most of their razor blades and saws, many of their drill bits, and most of the larger power tools, and all of their solar powered stuff. (I don't know about their solar panels, however.)

I've been looking at their air regulators and filters for the air compressor; I figure it's cheap enough that I can afford to replace them when they fail. The Dust Collector is on my list to buy when the price is right (and it hasn't been yet.) I'm also keeping an eye on their casters and wheels.

I have the 3/8" reversible drill, and I've unplugged it and let it finish smoking three times during various projects. It hasn't died on my yet, but I'm hoping...er...planning on it. I've been told to avoid their drill presses, both bench top models and the floor model, because of the runout and general bad quality, but I haven't tested this myself yet.

I signed up for their email list, and get coupons emailed to me (like the 20%) periodically, as well as alerts for various sales. However, I'm not a member of their savings club, so I don't get those savings passed on to me. The email list was free, the other one was not.

I have been looking at their 6" jointer (the green one), and though the site's reviews are pretty good on it, when you see it up close, well, it's no powermatic. Still to be decided.

I've been looking at that one too as I can't find a Ridgid anywhere near me... and you're right, it doesn't look terrible, I guess... I seems ok but kind of heavy to gamble with if I have to lug it back.

I've been told to avoid their drill presses, both bench top models and the floor model, because of the runout and general bad quality, but I haven't tested this myself yet.

I have a floor standing and a benchtop. I've had the benchtop for many years and use it to drill out circuit boards with very tiny bits so its pretty accurate. My floor model has no runout. In fact, if I get a drill bit thats slightly bent I get pretty ticked off. :)

I used that Machinist's dial for a couple years to ensure my table saw setup. It's likely not accurate enough to build a space station, but I gave up doing those long ago. I put a screw through the loop in the back and into a board. That board I'd screw onto the miter gauge for setup. Worked great. When I got it, it was a combo deal with that magnetic stand. I've used the switch magnet in it a number of times, though I've never used it with the caliper. Would likely be great for measuring runout on a miter saw.

Actually, as a boeing subcontractor, I did work on the space station. Or at least we think so. They wouldn't actually tell us because it was classified, but that was our best guess :)

Nick: honestly, when I was making airplane parts (not the space station bits. They were all CNC), I used a dial indicator very similar in quality to that one, and it worked just fine. Believe me, with the quality tests we had to go through, if it was giving me trouble in the accuracy department, we would have known it! Now I'm not saying it's on the level of a Starrett. Far from it, but I don't think it's so much the accuracy that would be the problem as much as the durability. It's a linear indicator, so as long as there's no play in the system and the readings are repeatable, it's probably going to be fine, at least as far as you'll be able to tell with the woodworking. It just might not survive very long if you drop it or kick it around. And as far as the base goes, it's just a way of moving the indicator around, so short of actually breaking it, you don't really have much to worry about as long as there's no slop in the connections and it's stiff enough to hold it's position.

You should be able to just try it out at the store and see how you like it. Ask them if they don't have one open that you can play with. Just set it up so that you get a reading other than zero, pull the indicator back and let it snap back a few times and see if you get exactly the same reading, then move it around a bit to see if you "feel" any play in the system that feels weird. It would be a bit hard to tell, and it's hard to explain, but I think you'd get a good idea if there was something wrong with it.

The one thing I did notice is that the Harbor Freight indicators and calipers feel a bit "stiff" to me. The gearing and slides don't quite have that silky-smooth feeling that you get with a piece of real "fine machinery" when moving back and forth, but I checked them against my good equipment and they seemed just fine.

I'd say about a third of my equipment is Harbor Freight - mostly my "secondary" stuff. The thread on HB quality has been done here many times, so I'll just say again that nowadays a lot of what you see at Harbor Freight is the same, exact product you are paying more for at other stores, so unfortunately you can't just discount them like you used to. I've noticed Woodcraft is rebranding a lot more stuff under various names that's coming off the same assembly lines as the HB stuff.

Anyway, case in point for your list: I'll add my vote to the oscillating spindle sander. I've been using mine for two years now with no problems, and until recently Woodcraft carried the same one, just in a different color with different labels for more money.

I've also been using their version of that oscillating cutting tool thingie. I got the slightly more expensive variable speed version and haven't had any problems with it yet.

Another interesting tidbit: On the current season of This Old House (The spanish revival in california), I've spotted a lot of Chicago Electric orange HB stuff. I'm guessing they actually expect to just use it on one job and throw it away, expensing it as a line item on the bill.

I've bought a good bit of HF stuff myself, and I've had good luck more often than not. With an essentially endless supply of 20% off coupons (I'll just scan one out of a mag and reprint as needed), it can be a heck of lot cheaper to go the HF route then BORG or Sears. My best advice is to read the reviews on their site, people are pretty honest and you can tell when something is good or not. Of all the things I've bought at HF, the only thing I've been really disappointed with were their nails. The problem was that the bevel at the point was off centered, so the nail curved to the left as it went through some MDF and blew out the side. Good thing my hand wasn't there. I've also been unimpressed with their aluminum bar clamps.

I can vouch for the following:

• 10 Gallon Air Compressor (it's loud though)
  • 3-pack of finish air nailers
  • Forstner bits
  • Hole plug bits
  • Augger bits and their really long drill bits
  • Work gloves of all sorts
  • Oak work bench (the vise isn't great though)
  • Various air couplings (the brass stuff, the other stuff leaked)
  • 200 piece mechanics toolset (read the reviews on that, pretty impressive)
  • 20-150ft-lbs Torque wrench
  • Ratcheting straps of various sizes (except the self retracting ones, those broke first use)
  • Digital angle gauge
  • 3lb sledge/hammer

I also have their jointer that I picked up off of craigslist for $100. I haven't gotten it aligned right yet and I'm not sold on the quality of it. I don't think I'm going to keep it if I find a good deal on a Rigid one or some other good brand. I also have their combination square and I don't trust it. I have their chisels as well, but until I sharpen them on my own, the verdict is out. They are fine for rough stuff out of the box, but they don't come with a clean edge on them.

In general, I am pretty hesitent when buying anything precision from HF.

journman poster how much was that digital angle gage. and do you like it , ive ben thinking of getting one thnx for the info

It was $30, minus $6 with the 20% off coupon: http://www.harborfre...auge-95998.html

It only goes in tenths of a degree, even though it read hundredths. But a tenth is good enough for me!

Read the reviews, it's interesting to read what people use it for: one guy mentioned front end alignments and another mentioned surround sound setup.

Forgot to mention their full face shield. I use that one when turning. Took me a moment to realize they wrapped it in that plastic shrink film thingy on both sides of the visor... couldn't realize why the wood turning on the lathe was really fuzzy. (This is one of those lessons in patience, and to not just jump into things.)

...I have the 18 guage combo nailer, but never used it; my compressor is borrowed and is ok for airbrushing model planes or filling a bike tire, but sucks for everything else.

I have this, and recently replaced it. The problem is that the combo nailer (brads and narrow crown staples) has a hammer sized for the staples. When you use it for a brad, you get a wide dent. The nailer only doesn't leave a really small dent, but it's much smaller than the combo nailer. I have the pin nailer too, and again, the hammer is bigger than a Grex, but not too bad.

Ditto on the 2HP DC. There is still a Wood magazine which has a $139 coupon for it.

The bar clamps aren't too bad. They aren't great, but you can afford a couple of longer ones. I also think the F clamps are decent, as are the quick clamps. They aren't as good as a "real" clamp, but they are good enough.

Ditto on the Dial Indicator and mag base. I have a vintage .0001" DTI I picked up on ebay and it says my HF indicator is pretty good.

The small roller stand has its limitations, but for $15 on sale, it's mighty handy

So far so good on my drill press table. It says put on my Griz benchtop drill press.

I do not recommend the framing square. Mine was way off.

The mover's dolly is surprisingly good for $9 on sale

I got a 25' length of rubber air hose that is also really nice for $5 on sale

I buy those things and tear them apart to get the wheels. $9 for four casters and all the mounting hardware is a heckuva deal.

-- Russ

ahem, I may have purchased more than 7... 7 are still intact ;) hint: a milk crate fits exactly on the top and is great for offcuts and usually fits in deadspace around tools.

Forgot to mention their full face shield. I use that one when turning. Took me a moment to realize they wrapped it in that plastic shrink film thingy on both sides of the visor... couldn't realize why the wood turning on the lathe was really fuzzy. (This is one of those lessons in patience, and to not just jump into things.)

I also have one of those for turning. The only thing that sucked about it is it has dust stick to it like crazy... I found if you buff it with a dryer sheet it helps a lot.