Gems of Harbor Freight

Nick2cd

As we all know, Harbor Freight isn't exactly synonymous with high quality and precision. However, every once in a while you find that little gem or diamond in the rough as you're sorting through the aisles. What are your best Harbor Freight finds? And don't be shameful, we're all guilty of at least perusing through their inventory at one time or another. :D

I'll go first......i found an assorted bag of foam brushes that i use to spread glue ($1). I have also bought a couple of their F style bar clamps for light duty jobs (i like Bessey's for serious stuff) and they seem to work great. At $3-4 each, i have been quite pleased.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found a 20% off coupon in one of our newspaper coupon flyers and have been considering the dust collector. I think it's on sale right now too! Does it work well out or the box? I've heard good reviews, but they're always coupled with a mention of the changes they made.

I assume that it works well out of the box. Only echoing what I've read:

• Make sure you get the metal impeller. Same price, same model number, but some have the plastic impeller
  • Most people want to replace the stock filter bag with a Wynn filter to catch the finer dust that causes health problems. That might be what you mean by "changes".
  • Some people like to add a separator before the blower. It helps keep the filter from clogging and protects the blower in case you vacuum up a nail or something.

Bag o' acid brushes and foam brushes are my favorites.

Usually I go to Harbor for hand tools to use on rough things or demo. I got some sanding drums for my drill press when I didn't have an osc. spindle sander, and most of my C-clamps are from there. I figure if I need a power tool it'd better be for demo purposes and not precision work. I think my dead-blow mallet is from there too.

2 of the things I continue to use have been mentioned -- the 2hp dust collector and acid brushes, I also get gloves for finishing there, they have the basic latex all the way through chemical grade... I have been tempted to try a few of their bar clamps .. any one have any?

I've had no problem with my little bitty drill press that I got from them 5 or so years ago.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-speed-drill-press-38119.html.

I'm still in the middle of assembling the 2HP dust collector because I am adding a separator and trying to reconfigure it to take much less space. Still need to get the 1 micron bag from http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/shakerfeltpolyestermicronfilterbag20x32.aspx

I haven't really gotten to use it much yet but my wife got me the spindle sander ( http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-spindle-sander-95088.html ) which seems to be the same as http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021065/24147/Triton-Spindle-Sander.aspx except she got it on sale and used a 20% off coupon from the back of one of my Wood Magazines

Popular mechanics rated their hammer drill pretty decent recently considering the bang for the buck. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-variable-speed-reversible-hammer-drill-67616.html

My son got me this for Christmas....I don't expect great things from it, but it's nice to have a corded drill when the batteries wear down. http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-professional-3-8-eighth-inch-magnesium-drill-98179.html

I've also bought some real crap from them just because it was on sale.....

-I threw away some universal tool stands that were just thin and poorly made.

-The drill press extension table wouldn't stay put on the drill press so I kept trying to tweek it down till I pulled the T-nuts off

of it. It's sitting aside to either be used as jig parts or to be modified to hang on to the table better.

http://www.harborfreight.com/drill-press-extension-table-with-fence-96395.html

I like their acid brushes for glue application. I've always got at least 2 or 3 bags of them laying around. Their 100-pk of blue nitrile gloves are great for staining, finishing and tool maintenance. I've got about 30 of their 6" and 12" F-style clamps for laminate glue ups. They're not as nice as my Jorgy F-Style, but dirt cheap and if they get all full of glue it doesn't break my heart to toss them out. I've also been trying out their disposable liners for HVLP guns. A little finish does get wasted, but cleanup time is half what it used to be.

My favorites are their cheap F style clamps, the acid brushes, the nitrile gloves, my 3/8" hammer drill (I've used it 4 times in 5 years), my multi tool (like a fein vibrating tool), the free LED flashlights, belt sander (used it twice in 3 years), their compressor accessories, and the 18 gauge brad gun.

I also bought some cheap table legs for a folding table there and built my own cut table out of 2x2 so now I can cut plywood right on the table and if I ever cut through too much of the 2x2, I'll just make another.

I've come across a few things there that I would recommend. The locking air hose reel and the red tool chest. The hose reel was only thirty bucks and has worked flawlessly for ten years now. I looked at Lowes, HD, Sears and Sam's Club for tool chests and The HF was the best quality with it's ball bearing drawers for around the same price as the others. The three pieces cost around 1000.00.

post-206-0-79654700-1297626257_thumb.jpg

post-206-0-69645400-1297626293_thumb.jpg

I agree with Rick. I have the base cabinet (got it on sale and the 20% off). It is awesome. The drawers slide just as easy as any "high quality" tool box out there. I will be adding more cabinets as they go on sale. I get disposeable items like sand paper, foam and acid brushes, etc. I have also been pleased with some of thier air tools and fittings. My Dad got a compressor from them and is more than happy with it as well.

Their 2HP DC is great; the metal impeller version has a product number ending in 69.

Their air crown stapler works well for the $14 it cost... great for tacking things together in the shop.

All my air hoses and compressor are from there. The manual hose reel is very nice. Their hoses are cheap enough that you can buy a few oddball lengths for convenience when you do things in the house.

Their clip-on trouble lamps (8" diameter!) are great task lights... seems all task lights these days are halogen. Halogen gets really really hot and that's not appreciated in an AZ summer plus I find that I need double the halogen wattage to equal the warm light of incandescent.

For the longest time, I used one of their digital calipers (12" model). Yeah, it chews threw batteries just like the name-brands, but its measurements match my Mitutoyo... I just used to loosen the battery door before leaving the shop for the day. Worse case, the batteries were 0.99 at HF.

I got a 3-pack of wide-mouth vice-grip-like clamps. Very handy. Only $7 on clearance. I hear these referred to as welder's clamps.

Also picked up a paint stirrer that you chuck up in a drill. That is enormously useful.

Gone are the glory days of Harbor freight when they had 40% coupons that you could use with really good sale prices.

I got the mini mill for a steal with coupon..

http://panofish.net/basement-woodshop-tour/

My trailer winch has been very reliable and cheap...

http://panofish.net/garage-trailer-lift/

I love my 6 ton press:

http://panofish.net/how-to-replace-a-98-vw-golf-front-bearing/

Their crane was cheap and has been great for moving heavy shop machinery around.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html

whadda u guys think about one of these for tool setup? couple it with a machinists dial or digital caliper and it seems you'd have a pretty versatile instrument for micro measuring. im thinking of getting something like this for when i have to get and set new jointer knives. actually, after closer inspection, they also have a machinists dial at the bottom the page as a suggestion to purchase in conjuction with the magnetic base.

This is what I found a while back when I was wondering what I might be able to pick up cheap from HF:

When comparing tools, I often hear, "X and Y are the same tool, made in the same factory, just with different paint. If you look at the parts list you'll see that they are identical, they even have the same part numbers."

Keep in mind that when a company contracts with a manufacturer to make a product, a very important part of the contract is inspection regime and the standards that the product has to meet. There's a big difference in cost between a 14" cast iron wheel where the diameter is accurate to 0.0001" and one where the diameter is accurate to 0.01". The manufacturing process isn't perfect, so they end up with units that don't pass inspection.

Now, if I were the manufacturer, I don't think I'd throw out all the parts that don't pass inspection. Instead, I might put them together to make products, and see if I could find a discounter who was willing to sell them as a different brand. I'm not saying that this is what's happening, it just makes sense to me that this is what companies might do.

whadda u guys think about one of these for tool setup? couple it with a machinists dial or digital caliper and it seems you'd have a pretty versatile instrument for micro measuring. im thinking of getting something like this for when i have to get and set new jointer knives. actually, after closer inspection, they also have a machinists dial at the bottom the page as a suggestion to purchase in conjuction with the magnetic base.

I used that Machinist's dial for a couple years to ensure my table saw setup. It's likely not accurate enough to build a space station, but I gave up doing those long ago. I put a screw through the loop in the back and into a board. That board I'd screw onto the miter gauge for setup. Worked great. When I got it, it was a combo deal with that magnetic stand. I've used the switch magnet in it a number of times, though I've never used it with the caliper. Would likely be great for measuring runout on a miter saw.