Supermax Rattle .... is this normal?

Curtis

I sure hope someone has figured out this problem. I have received "TWO" units (16-32 Supermax)in less than 6 months and both have the same problem. I am now replacing the spider coupling. I believe the cause of this to fail is the clicking / bearing issue. I run all my wood thru a joiner and a planer. I only take off a 1/64 to a 32nd off when sanding. Laguna has told me the Jet is the same model as they are low on parts and stated that Jet may have more in stock. LOL I asked to upgrade at my cost and have no response. Guess I am SOL and will have to figure out how to repair. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update:

I got the replacement couplings and spider from Laguna. I also ordered the same parts from Ereplacement Parts / jet parts.

I decided to use the jet parts / the only difference is the Laguna has two set screws and the Jet has one. There is a carter key on the motor side and the drum side. Neither of these were damaged or scored. BUT when I went to pull the motor side I had to use a puller. Low and behold the motor side showed signs of a damage carter key in the past as the shaft was scored. This was my second unit that was supposed to be new. Now for the good news, NO clicking / quiet and running smooth.  Ereplacement part numbers: (2) drum shaft couplings 50-2207 / (1) Spider 50-2209. My cost delivered was $61.44. I hope this will help others. (total time for replacement 10 minutes)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I'm new to this forum, and drum sanders. I already have an issue with my Supermax 16/32. I was given this sander, which in turn , did not come with a receipt. Laguna hasn't been a great help in that category. I have a real bad shake. I order and have a replacement 'spider' already. However, it appears to be in good shape. This thing is like new. See attached video, any advice helps. Thanks in advance.   

• Like 1

My 16-32 has been great. The machine shouldn't shake that much something is out of balance on the drum or there is an issue with the sand paper. I'd see if you can inspect inside the drum to see if there is build up or check to see if the balancing weights have detached. Stepping though your video frame by frame it looks like the imbalance is on the paper clasp side. There should be a weight on the drum to off set the weight of the paper clip.