Is it me or my bandsaw?

Ksmith

Hi i have a small benchtop delta bandsaw, i was cutting out the rough shape for a spoon the other day. Any time i would try to make a curve the blade would twist and stop. These arent sharp curves i wonder is it just a weak saw? Or is it something i am doing wrong. Any videos that may help? I dont really do anything big, not yet anyway so id hate to go out and get a more expensive saw if its just failure on my part

20190126_104759.jpg

How wide is the blade? Too wide and the blade binds. Another thing to check is if the tooth set on the blade has been flattened making the kerf too narrow for the blade to make its turn. Next check your guides and make sure they are set correctly for the blade, improperly set roller guides will flatten the blade. Next is the blade still sharp? A dull blade will bind in a curve because its having to work the machine harder. That not everything but should help.

• Thanks 1

There's a video by the Carter company, that gives a detailed explaination of how to set up your bandsaw properly. It applies to any bandsaw.  I had a link, but can't find it.  Follow the directions completely.  There may be some parts that your small bandsaw  doesn't have, but paying attention will get you fixed.

• Thanks 1

A Delta benchtop - is that a 3 wheel saw?  I think we might need some more specifics about the saw, or a picture.  Tension, blade width, drive belt tension, tightness of turn are all possible factors but if it's a three wheel model there might be some other dynamics involved.

In addition to what others have said, it can also be technique.  The blade can only turn when it's cutting.  If you try to do what you would do cutting paper with scissors and pivot the scissors to change direction while you aren't cutting the blade will just bend.  Particularly where the bowl of the spoon comes back into the handle, that IS a sharp turn.  A 1/4" or larger blade won't be able to do that without a relief cut.

Also the blades for those small saws are thin and tend to not have much set.  I usually used a 1/8" blade unless I was trying to cut straight.  What people give for advice is really geared toward larger saws (14" and up).