So what is the difference?

Ronn W

I will be taking a joinery class this summer and the tool list for the class includes a Nicholson #49 or #50 cabinet rasp.  I have 2 Logier rasps, a #9 and a #13.  How do I compare the courseness between these 2 grading systems???  In other words is a #49 simliar to a #13?  Tanks for you input.

4 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Did you try to Google the difference?  If not, try calling the class.

You could have just said that you don't know.   Googling hasn't helped....yet.  I called the class and they said that my Liogier rasps would work just fine.  But I would still like to find a comparison chart just so when someone asks me I don't have to say. "Try to google it."..................You know that I'm just messin' with ya...

So this site https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2778 lists the 49 as a 2nd cut and the 50 as a smooth cut. The Logier #9 is a medium coarse cut so similar to the 49 and the #50 is a smoother cut so similar to the #13.

My guess is their intention is to have a medium for faster removal and a slower removal for detail work. Companies don't make this easier i like how gramarancy does this and just lists their estimated tpi. I don't think you can get any more clear than that.

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/TRR/item/GT-CMRASP.XX

https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/half-round-cabinet-rasps

Edited by Chestnut
Edited for additional information.

1 hour ago, Ronn W said:

You could have just said that you don't know.   Googling hasn't helped....yet.  I called the class and they said that my Liogier rasps would work just fine.  But I would still like to find a comparison chart just so when someone asks me I don't have to say. "Try to google it."..................You know that I'm just messin' with ya...

I'm going to take you out to the empty wolf pen and thump you.   How ya doin Ronn? Ain't heard from you in a while.

• Haha 1

There may also be some degree of referring to the Nicholson #49 and #50 as a generic reference.  They were the typical rasps one came across for so long.  Kind of like referring to a circular saw as a "Skilsaw".  It took me several tries to get a #49 from Jamestown Dist that didn't look like it had been stored in a bucket with a dozen others (mached sections of teeth).  I'm sure your rasps will be fine.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:00 AM, gee-dub said:

Kind of like referring to a circular saw as a "Skilsaw". 

Really?  I spent half my life thinking a jigsaw's actual name was a "skilsaw."  Never knew of a circular saw as one.  Maybe it's a geographical difference, like "soda" vs. "pop," or maybe it was just my dad.

I think that’s a regional thing. When I worked at a hardware store, half the people asking for a ‘skilsaw’ meant jigsaw, the other half meant circular saw. 

A guy I worked with always said “There are ten names for any one item and eleven of them are wrong.”