a utility project

collinb

11 hours ago, K Cooper said:

@collinb, what does your wife can? We put up tomatoes but process them and put them n zip locks and freeze them. Have been doing that for years successfully until about 7 weeks ago when I came out and found that the fridge/freezer in the shop went out. Lost about 33 quarts. 

She does tomatoes, apples, blackberries, and pumpkin. Some years when we find sweet corn cheap enough she will blanch/freeze that.

Blackberries obviously become preserves.

I've learned from her that most any pumpkin will do. The "pie" pumkins are simply a different flavor & sweetness. She will bake the pumpkin, hollow it out and then can the goods.

One canned item I never enjoyed that my mother's mother did was to make tomato preserves. But my Dad loved them. (As long as you use a sweet tomoato.) A food of past generations that has been forgotten.

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

If its got some heat, I'd eat that!

For a little heat with good flavor added, try Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. Available in most big grocery stores. Add it to anything and it just gets better.  I've an old friend that use to add it to a bowl of cereal. But then he was a touch crazy anyhow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1