Hammer A3-31(planer) feed problem

bleedinblue

When planing the large oak beams I talk about in another thread, at least half the time I end up manually pushing the boards through as they get stuck.  It typically pulls the board for a few feet, then gets stuck,  then I push it for a few feet until it starts feeding under it's own power, then I have to push (or pull from the outfeed side) again, etc.

I can't figure out what exact conditions cause it, it seems to be the same with a light cut or heavy cut.

Before starting this project I only put one board through the planer, a 4/4 something or the other, that exhibited the same behavior.

I've waxed the planer bed and cleaned the shipping lube from the feed rollers.  I'm not sure if there's something else I'm missing.  Obviously my next step is talking to CS.

I have found on mine that if I send long boards through I have to make sure they stay level, which is tough given the short length of the table. I have thought about either making or buying the extensions but just haven't done enough work with long stock to get to it yet. If you have a roller stand set it up on the out feed side and try to make it mirror the table from a height perspective, its worked fro me.

• Like 1

Yeah, for these 8+ foot boards I used a total of three roller stands, then rushed to the outfeed side to lift the boards to make sure they stayed registered on the planer table.  The few times I didn't catch it in time they dropped and "snipe" is a huge understatement.

I actually had to cut an inch off the bottoms of my roller stands to get them to drop low enough.  

Researching online, it seems my problem isnt unique.  I'll have to double check the manual to see if instructions to adjust the feed rollers are inside.  I'm not even sure if the rollers should go up or down, but I suppose trial and error will be needed.

bleedinblue If I were you I would get through your bench build before you adjust the rollers I think you will find with shorter stock less than 5' you will have less issues. 

I will also look for an article I have on making a shop made outfeed table that utilizes an adj paint roller handle as the support.

MN Steve with the short planer table  (like 28" I think) the weight of the long boards on the in-feed but more so on the out-feed cause issues with the feed rollers.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I had same problem and thought the worse... saw a post somewhere about waxing and was skeptical.  I waxed the tables with paste wax (johnson type) and it ran like brand new.  I make my own wax now and make sure I wax often (before every big job).  My buddy had the A3-26 and sold it because he had the same problem.  When I showed him the impact that waxing the tables had (no more pushing through... planks run straight and true), he was very impressed.  Note : I run lots of board-feet of lumber on my jointer with powerfeeder and waxing is of utmost importance there.  If I don't wax, it doesn't work good.  I love this machine.  Not sure why they didn't polish the tables at the factory though.