SawDustB

Hand tool cabinet in maple

30 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Who among us really is?

OK, fair enough. I am trying to only buy things I really need at this point. I'm embarrassed to say I've found tools in the process of fitting them that I forgot I owned. On the plus side, I've started using them again now that they live over my bench. I do want to make sure that the tools I have fit in the storage I have, since my shop was such a mess before.

• Like 1

My only minor issue with the hand tool cabinet at this point is, I'm not really sure where to hang it in my shop. The place i want to hang it, isn't really a good fit for it. The place i have space to hang it, is a long way form my bench. I think I'm going to have to reorganize my shop....

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

My only minor issue with the hand tool cabinet at this point is, I'm not really sure where to hang it in my shop. The place i want to hang it, isn't really a good fit for it. The place i have space to hang it, is a long way form my bench. I think I'm going to have to reorganize my shop....

Yeah, that's a tough one. I reorganized and painted my garage a few years ago before I started the Roubo, and a tool cabinet was always in the plan. For me there was really only one spot it could go, and I left the space blank since then. I put it off this long because I originally figured I would modify the plans from the Mike P. FWW tool cabinet, which was the wrong form factor - my space was short and wide, not tall and narrow. It worked out well for me that Matt's dimensions were pretty much ideal for my space.

• Like 1

My hand tool cabinet needs more hand plane space. When I built it I only had a couple cheap planes; now I have several yet no specific storage for them. Chisels and hammering devices I’m set, but I also want a sharpening station. Except now I have a lathe and the grinder needs to be near it. *sigh* It’ll never be “done.” :) 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Do I get credit for the clever design, too?  :D

Sure, why not? ;) It was inspired by the scissors. I've found that the biggest challenge with the holders isn't hanging the item, but doing it in such a way that it doesn't rattle and move when opening the doors. I like to keep mine closed for dust and humidity, so it drives me nuts when I hear something bang in the process. That's why this one got the magnet - I've been using those as my problem solvers.

• Like 1

I think rare earth magnets may be the greatest things for the workshop since self tapping screws.  I now keep a supply of varrious sizes on hand in the shop along with various screws, glues and tapes.

• Like 1

My only knock on magnets is they have magnetized my tools so they then pull towards other metal tools. Though it doesn't stop me from using them either.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

My only knock on magnets is they have magnetized my tools so they then pull towards other metal tools. Though it doesn't stop me from using them either.

I agree, so I've avoided them where I could. They just make it so much easier for some tools to hang them. Otherwise you get into making latches or toggles to hold them in, which I don't want. A few of the holders took me a couple hours of adjusting them to hold the tool perfectly. I'll admit my patience for that is waning, so I'm using more magnets.

• Like 1

At the other end of the spectrum one could line a door with thin steel plate and use only magnets to hold tools for the ultimate in future flexibility.  

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

@SawDustB, the only thing left is to outline all of the tools with a Sharpie and remember to return them to where they live when finished! :)

Trust me, at this point I've got the inside pretty well memorized. I still find myself about to leave them all sitting on my bench like I would before building it, so I need to be retrained. ^_^