Hand tool cabinet in maple

SawDustB

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up some brass marine hinges today.  Someone on another thread (I forget who, but thanks!) had mentioned marine hinges, so I went and checked out a local marine store.  I got some that look pretty beefy and are about 1/3 price of Brusso.  It still cost $140 though... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Art said:

I just picked up some brass marine hinges today.  Someone on another thread (I forget who, but thanks!) had mentioned marine hinges, so I went and checked out a local marine store.  I got some that look pretty beefy and are about 1/3 price of Brusso.  It still cost $140 though... 

I had sticker shock with looking at the Brusso or Horton hinges. The problem is the sheer number of them that Matt specified for the build. He wants 4 hinges per door, with 4 doors. 16 hinges is getting to be a lot. I also don't love the shiny brass hinges, so I'd rather go with steel for this or an antique finish. I can get the marine hinges in the ball park of $6 per hinge, which is a lot more reasonable. I just need to convince myself that the dimensions will work.

Here's the ones I already ordered. I'm thinking they're a bit light weight for the task, since the hinge leaves are only about 1/16" thick.

20190525_091152.thumb.jpg.6a3a00c5eed08b674512c2e7c828f051.jpg

6 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

What benefit is there of using 4 butt hinges per door, vs. a single continuous / piano hinge?

Seems like aligning all those hinges would be a real pain.

Matt did it for looks, but he seemed to assume you needed to put the piano hinge on the outside. I agree, one of my concerns is that I'll do all these hinges and then have it bind in operation. There's a nice looking 24" piano hinge that I'm considering (x4, obviously). It's probably the next cheapest option, if I'm not using my eBay hinges.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SawDustB said:

I had sticker shock with looking at the Brusso or Horton hinges. The problem is the sheer number of them that Matt specified for the build. He wants 4 hinges per door, with 4 doors. 16 hinges is getting to be a lot. I also don't love the shiny brass hinges, so I'd rather go with steel for this or an antique finish. I can get the marine hinges in the ball park of $6 per hinge, which is a lot more reasonable. I just need to convince myself that the dimensions will work.

Here's the ones I already ordered. I'm thinking they're a bit light weight for the task, since the hinge leaves are only about 1/16" thick.

20190525_091152.thumb.jpg.6a3a00c5eed08b674512c2e7c828f051.jpg

These are the ones I got.  I'm just putting three on each side, rather than four, and I'm going for the drop in type hinges so that I can more easily take off the doors if needed  to add tool holders, etc.  They're still not cheap, but I figure they bridge the gap between Brusso and the really cheap hinges.

cab12.thumb.jpeg.ebc0b63a02650a9ce78863e925832081.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Looking good! I have the damndest time trying to get three hinges to a door to cooperate, I can’t imagine trying to get 4 to line up. 

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I'm leaning toward using heavy duty piano hinges. It will be cheaper, and I think it might be easier. The ones I'm looking at are on Amazon so I may order them this week.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Depends on whether you need the practice or not.  

I could use the practice, but I want to get this finished up and on the wall in the next few weeks. I've never tried half blinds before, and my total dovetailing experience is this project and one other. I want to actually have time to make the holders too, so this doesn't end up taking me 6 months to move my tools into.

I actually briefly considered just using box joints to get it done quickly, but I don't think the aesthetic would look right.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I just get more and more jealous with every post. I need to make one of these some day son. It's also on my list with a roubo bench.....

It's not actually that long of a build, I'm just not putting a lot of time in. I'm pretty excited to be able to load it up. You should definitely build one too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...