Hand tool cabinet in maple

SawDustB

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

The smell of lacquer really has a tendency to hang around, even with windows and doors open.

Yes, it was poor planning on my part. I could have had some shop time yesterday, but I couldn't take the fumes when I tried to go out there in the afternoon. It doesn't help that the weather was significantly below freezing yesterday, and the lacquer seemed like it wasn't drying in the cold.

13 hours ago, SawDustB said:

I'm trying a technique that's new to me, where you run a router with a pattern bit around the pins to clean up the baselines.

I'm using that technique on this project in addition to a pins first approach.   The tool cabinet is a skill builder for me to learn to cut dovetails.  Also, using the mitre jig to pare the corners is oddly satisfying.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SawDustB said:

used the router to clean up the pins and it was amazing. So much easier and faster than chiseling everything, although I felt like I was cheating. The joints came together pretty well.

Do you have any more information on this method? Was it in the guild build and i just missed it somehow?

I think I'm done being distracted for now with dust collection. I did get the drawer divider milled down to 5/8", but I can't make up my mind what piece to use for above the cubbies. I have a couple of piece with interesting defects, one of which will probably end up there.

I raided the plumbing aisle at Home Depot to connect my dust collector with the new dust deputy. I wanted to have hard pipe from the dust deputy to the collector, since it's a pretty ugly connection (unless I get into disassembling the dust collector and building a new cart, but that sounds like work, and would make it really tall). I was able to have the dust deputy ride on the same cart, although I suspect I'll add a better support to hold it. And yes, it's being held on with a bungee cord right now, but it actually is quite stable like this. Obviously I'm currently missing the hose, but I'm happy with the result. Plan B was to try bending the PVC if I didn't like how it turned out. I can't tell a difference in the airflow from right at the collector input, or going through this, so the difference is likely small enough that I don't care.

20190313_141200.thumb.jpg.38ce04a0107b02b18b366c75115b8bfb.jpg

And the back view. I may end up adding a counterweight on the back corner to prevent it from being tippy with the dust deputy hanging off the front. The other option would be to shift the pillar with the motor back and drill a couple of new holes.

20190313_141210.thumb.jpg.2c50cda8505474cf3e520874bc39f839.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pkinneb said:

Well I have to say that is quite the connection!! In the end it works and that's all that matters :) 

I know :D. I think the longest piece of pipe there is about 6". I wanted to keep the whole thing pretty compact. I won't bother gluing until I'm a bit more sure that I'm keeping it that way.

• Haha 1

Please tell me the dust in the bag was left over from before you installed the SDD?

It's taking all of my effort to not devise a better way to do this..... If it's not broken (yet) don't fix it :D.

Jokes i think it looks good. Looks like you made a good effort to make the bend sweeping I'd bet that is more efficient flow wise than flex hose and despite looking Frankensteinish.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Please tell me the dust in the bag was left over from before you installed the SDD?

It's taking all of my effort to not devise a better way to do this..... If it's not broken (yet) don't fix it :D.

Jokes i think it looks good. Looks like you made a good effort to make the bend sweeping I'd bet that is more efficient flow wise than flex hose and despite looking Frankensteinish.

Yes, I was too lazy to empty the bag until I'm sure that it's staying as is ^_^. That was from my planing yesterday. I could have easily made this much shorter, but I used a mix of 22.5 degree and 45 degree elbows, mostly the 22.5. I'm trying to keep it a gentle sweep. I could eliminate at least one of the smaller bends if I shortened my connecting pipes a bit, so I might do that. 

The optimal setup would be to raise the dust collector about 18", flip the blower 90 degrees so it went into the top of the cyclone, and stack them. I'm just not sure I want it that tall, and there's no good wall space to hang it, since I have a door, window, and electrical panel on the wall where I would ideally put it. This version took me about 20 minutes total, so I haven't got too much invested in it.

I was thinking the 90 degree thing but the blower connection doesn't look square so then you might have to make an adapter plate of sorts. That is your best end bet though. Shortening up the bag under the filter would allow you to use that space for something possibly as well.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I was thinking the 90 degree thing but the blower connection doesn't look square so then you might have to make an adapter plate of sorts. That is your best end bet though. Shortening up the bag under the filter would allow you to use that space for something possibly as well.

It's close to square, but not quite. At the very least it would require drilling new holes and some sort of adaptation. I probably won't bother unless I find a way to go vertical with it. This contraption should be able to go beside my workbench if I clear some more junk out of the garage.

As far as the cart, what if you cut a piece of ply the same length as the cart but wide enough to support the dust deputy barrel more completely and then just bolt it to the cart.  you might only need it to be half inch thick ply.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chet said:

As far as the cart, what if you cut a piece of ply the same length as the cart but wide enough to support the dust deputy barrel more completely and then just bolt it to the cart.  you might only need it to be half inch thick ply.

That should work, if it ends up being an issue. It's actually more secure on there than it might appear. My main concern is what happens when the barrel fills up, and if it becomes tippy. At worst, I can put something on the cart base as ballast.

Fairly simple....ha!!! :DThey make heat boxes to heat evenly around the diameter. Clean sweeps are super tricky without practice. It’s a narrow window between under and over heating. It can be done, I’ve done a fair bit. Mostly because of failed first attempts. 

I'd heard about the sand trick as well, but it sounds messy. I figure I'm out an extra $30 in elbows doing it this way, which is worth it for the hassle. I've bent thin pipe, but never anything approaching 4". Probably the next biggest performance increase would be if I shorten the flex hose I use on the tools, but that would also limit my layout in the shop.

• Like 1

They do make large radius 90 degree connectors, always recommended when using pvc for dust collection. Some of them are not sewer pipe but non metallic electrical conduit made in a more sweeping curve so the wires can be pushed through, though the size of the radius may not match where you want the dust deputy to sit.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Are you searching for more performance? When i used a small collector like this i always thought it did quite well hooked up to just 1 tool at a time.

Probably not, it's been fine. I just don't want to lose what performance I have. I don't tend to have an issue, except for when my planer was plugging up the grate going into the dust collector. That's mostly what inspired this whole exercise. The only other thing I'm likely going to do is run a strip of copper tape along the pipe to remove the static. I'm not worried about fires or explosions, but it gave me a pretty good zap after running it for a few minutes.

So much of what I've read indicates that running anything on PVC has little effect on minimizing this but maybe it will. I'd give it a try and report back i'm interested to see how this works in the real world.

Ducting is a all PVC and i never installed anything to direct the static and don't seem to ever get shocked by it. I also never get that close to the ducts.