Hand tool cabinet in maple

SawDustB

6 hours ago, Chet said:

Looking forward to this Brian.  Are you following the guild build or just grabbing information from his free stuff?

I built my kitchen cabinets and more recently my dining table from red oak.  I like how they came out and pretty much don't care what anyone else thinks of the species. ;)

Amen!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RichardA said:

I'm looking forward to this.  I just built mine a couple of years ago, and would like to see how you come to your conclusions.  I admit, I built mine out of the hated "Red Oak", but it works quite well.

I saw yours posted before Rick, it looked great. There were a few that showed up on the group that made me decide (a while ago) that I needed something better. Otherwise, I would have slapped something quick together.

7 hours ago, Chet said:

Looking forward to this Brian.  Are you following the guild build or just grabbing information from his free stuff?

I built my kitchen cabinets and more recently my dining table from red oak.  I like how they came out and pretty much don't care what anyone else thinks of the species. ;)

I'm following the guild build on this one, Chet. I bought the project on a whim last year, thinking I might have built my cabinet by now, but it works out perfectly.

I actually have some red oak I considered for this, but I would have had to go buy more anyway. Besides, I liked the idea of everything matching. Around here, the cheapest hardwoods are maple, birch, oak, and ash, so that's mostly what I build with.

I am follow the guild build as well. If i didn't have 2 other projects on my plate i'd be building one. Maybe i'll be able to jump in later this spring and try and play catch up. I have the wood i want to make mine out of picked out, but i need to do some planning, Though Cremona's layout is pretty universal and covers a LOT of tools.

I think red oak can look great. My only 2 knocks on it are it can be tricky to dry and gets splintery and has some internal tension at times. The other one is a knock on the main users of the wood. They have the whole world thinking everything wood needs to be stained but this isn't the woods fault for being a good base for stain and dye.

I quite enjoy the smell of the kiln dried stuff i have.

Straight-grained red oak is a pleasure to work with, looks nice, and as mentioned can be stained to produce a wide variety of looks. The prominent grain can become overwhelming, especially in figured pieces.

And I'm pretty certain that staring at a sheet of rotary-cut oak plywood can trigger a seizure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

And I'm pretty certain that staring at a sheet of rotary-cut oak plywood can trigger a seizure.

This is something in my woodworking youth I didn't really pay attention to.  When I built the kitchen cabinets I used oak ply for the boxes.  I look at the end cabinets now and it drives me a little koo koo.  It is only two ends but in retrospect I wish I had used regular lumber on those ends.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 7:58 AM, Johnny4 said:

I built this shelf out of off the rack red oak a few years ago. I saw all this curl in the back of the pile and bought the whole board. Used Marc’s recipe for popping the grain. I think it turned out well. I have no beef with red oak.

0D26178E-9C91-47A2-A443-D4E2AC63BAC9.jpeg

95635501-EFBB-480B-8FD7-D8ADB18679EE.jpeg

C9E96EFB-339D-4B4E-8CCD-32D4F600C113.jpeg

Not fair, that's a one in a thousand look for red oak. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 9:24 AM, Chestnut said:

For some reason seems like DIY carpenters see it as a defect?

Even a professional cabinet shop doesn't take sticks with much figure unless they are taking it for a personal project.  There was a guy at my yard sorting through a stack and passed a really nice piece of walnut to the side.  I asked him and he said its to hard to work in to a regular project, they like the plain looking stuff so there is no thinking involved when it comes to grain in a big kitchen job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Even a professional cabinet shop doesn't take sticks with much figure unless they are taking it for a personal project.  There was a guy at my yard sorting through a stack and passed a really nice piece of walnut to the side.  I asked him and he said its to hard to work in to a regular project, they like the plain looking stuff so there is no thinking involved when it comes to grain in a big kitchen job.

Makes perfect sense to me. One figured cabinet board among a wall of straight grain would look odd. 

I was hoping to get further on this over the weekend, but ended up working for a lot of it. I've got the pins sawn out, but need to clean up the baselines. I'm trying a technique that's new to me, where you run a router with a pattern bit around the pins to clean up the baselines.

I also got a bit distracted since I bought a super dust deputy over the weekend, and I'm looking at how to compactly install it. It looks like I can have it hitch a ride on the existing dust collector cart, but I need to make some small modifications. It came with a fiber barrel, which I was a little worried about holding up in my garage so I sprayed it with lacquer. Unfortunately, I did that yesterday morning but my shop still stinks of it...

On 3/11/2019 at 4:05 AM, SawDustB said:

Unfortunately, I did that yesterday morning but my shop still stinks of it...

The smell of lacquer really has a tendency to hang around, even with windows and doors open.

You don't really need to glue the joints< I just use the aluminum duct tape.