Hand tool cabinet in maple

SawDustB

Thanks guys! I'd really like to get this up and out of the way, so I can move on with some other organization I have planned. I'm also going to be bringing in a small lathe, so I need to clear some room to put it. I suspect the next project may end up being another tool cart.

• Like 1

Sigh... There's always something a bit depressing about taking everything apart to get into finish sanding and prep. I realized there's a few things I put off, like using saw dust and glue on the dovetails. I'm hoping to start applying finish before I go back to work on Thursday.

20190803_230244.jpg

I agree, taking things apart after you’ve seen what it going to look like is a downer. On the plus side it’s one step closer to being done, it always seems like the small details take the most time, hardware, final sanding and assembly and finish always take longer than expected in my shop. looking real good, that’s going to be a beautiful piece!

• Like 2

It took a lot longer than it should have, but I made my chisel holder. I made about half of one out of pine to prototype it, then made this from sapele. By the time I was done I think I removed 75% of the wood I started with. Still needs finish, but it's secure and fits all but a couple of specialty chisels. I drilled two Forstner bit holes, then used a small cove bit too make it fit the handle and cut the notches. Finally I had to use the router table to add the step back to make them easier to remove. I like having the guards on there, so it complicated life a bit.

20190814_013259.thumb.jpg.a9c2d0115ced4eba876a00180ff4796a.jpg

I also fit the plywood for the tall plane till and cut the little strips up for fitting those. It looks like my number 6 and 7 will just fit in their (width wise, there's lots of height). The sapele drawer front there is the start of my card scraper holder, but I'm still thinking that through. I want a more finished look than Matt had in the project for that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I think the hand tool cabinet will come first. I need to get a new planer, and the roubo is a milling heavy project.

OK, fair enough, it sure is. My #6 and I can attest to that. Putting the slabs through the bench top planer was an adventure, and I shortened mine to 6 feet.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Man that look really good. I agree it looks like you need more planes to fill up all that empty space.

Thanks - should look even better once I put finish on all of it. I actually don't see me getting that many more planes... I'd like a low angle Jack, and a nicer block plane, but I'm not sure what else I'd want. I'm trying to make an effort not to buy tools unless I'm going to use them. I really only use my smoother and my #6 most of the time, unless I'm in a project with lots of jointing required.

13 hours ago, K Cooper said:

Looking fantastic Brian! 

Thanks Coop!

10 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

Thanks - should look even better once I put finish on all of it. I actually don't see me getting that many more planes... I'd like a low angle Jack, and a nicer block plane, but I'm not sure what else I'd want. I'm trying to make an effort not to buy tools unless I'm going to use them. I really only use my smoother and my #6 most of the time, unless I'm in a project with lots of jointing required.

What about getting more specialty planes like a compass plane or some molding planes?

You do more than average amount of hand tool work so i can see a jack plane working well in your shop. I've never really liked the low angle planes are they something that you like to use?

Also i have 2 #4s and as much as I thought after i bought the LN #4 that i'd stop using my junky Stanley one that i got dirt cheap I use them about the same amount. I'm SUPER glad i didn't listen to the nay sayers and bought my LN with a 50 degree frog. I have it set up for a light cut and when i hit the nasty spots I grab it over the Stanley. For the bulk work the Stanley does the job.

I need to restore the #3s that i have to see if they are something that fits in my work. I"m sure they would but i need to have it available first.

What about getting more specialty planes like a compass plane or some molding planes?

I could maybe see a compass plane. I had a chance to buy one around when I did the roubo, but I was spending enough money on other tools that I passed. The molding planes are interesting, but I do like my router table. I find myself not really doing much aside from chamfers most of the time.

You do more than average amount of hand tool work so i can see a jack plane working well in your shop. I've never really liked the low angle planes are they something that you like to use?

I've got a standard Jack plane, it's on the far left in the till. I do use it, but it's set up with a heavier camber so it basically gets used for heavy material removal. I want the low angle Jack in part for shooting, but it's not necessary.

Also i have 2 #4s and as much as I thought after i bought the LN #4 that i'd stop using my junky Stanley one that i got dirt cheap I use them about the same amount. I'm SUPER glad i didn't listen to the nay sayers and bought my LN with a 50 degree frog. I have it set up for a light cut and when i hit the nasty spots I grab it over the Stanley. For the bulk work the Stanley does the job.

I need to restore the #3s that i have to see if they are something that fits in my work. I"m sure they would but i need to have it available first.

I would like to pick up a #3 to try it as well, just haven't found one in decent shape. I use my low angle smoother since my #4 has a sole that is not even remotely flat.

So I guess I could find a couple of planes to give a home to. It's just a little lower on my list than a few other tools.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

I would like to pick up a #3 to try it as well, just haven't found one in decent shape. I use my low angle smoother since my #4 has a sole that is not even remotely flat.

I have 2 both are in good shape i'd offer to send one to you to see if you like it but I remember your in Canada and shipping is crazy expensive.