Twin Turbo Vise

Ronn W

Really comes down to personal preference and work flow. For me I would see the twin screw as a moxon replacement, more than a leg vice replacement. One thing I think would bother with the twin screw is always working on the end of my bench. With my leg vice I have 5' of bench top to the right making it very easy to lay down and pick up tools. Probably not a big deal for most but for me I think I would miss that.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, danglin said:

Help me understand this.  Other than the situation of edge jointing a wider board with the aid of the deadman, why doesn't the twin screw like Klein's design basically replace the functions of the leg vise?  Since I will tend to use a jointer for this operation, what will I miss having the twin turbo vs a BC Crisscross leg vise?  Having to work without such vises in the past doesn't give me the intuitive sense to figure this out.

Like Quoted below it's more a joinery vise. Something you are going to use to get the end of a board up in your face do saw dove tails or the like. It doesn't replace the Leg vise for the reasons you like the leg vise. A leg vise si good for a long 48" board that you hold the other end with  the dead man ect. I have a jointer as well and still tend to mount boards in this manner from time to time. I don't have either leg or wagon vise so i make due with those old school wooden clamps. more below.

16 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

Really comes down to personal preference and work flow. For me I would see the twin screw as a moxon replacement, more than a leg vice replacement. One thing I think would bother with the twin screw is always working on the end of my bench. With my leg vice I have 5' of bench top to the right making it very easy to lay down and pick up tools. Probably not a big deal for most but for me I think I would miss that.

I see the twin screw as the third vise in the lets call it the "holy trinity". If i had my way i'd have the leg vise and tail vise set up the way Marc has them in the roubo build.A bench has 4 sides so I'd mount the twin screw opposite the leg vise or on that other side some where maybe in the middle because you are right working on the end might be annoying. I don't have my bench against a wall and i find it quite useful to be able to access all sides of it. I realize that isn't always the case for everyone.  If i was against a wall like some i'd probably do a Moxon vise like is pictured from bench crafted.

• Like 1

At the end of the day, the twin screw and the leg vise are just ways of holding wood, and there is obviously a lot of overlap in their functions.  They do have things they specialize in,  but you had just one, I suspect you would be absolutely fine.  I have a Moxon vise that I made when I was learning dovetails, and it's probably the best vise for that specific function.  But if I didn't have it, my leg vise would still work fine.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

My hand tool cabinet is on the wall right behind the vise end of the bench so I like to work there.  I occasionally even manage to not cover the bench in crap.  My walkways along the long sides of the bench are narrow so any vise there would impale me on a regular basis.  It's been a long time since I dealt with any long furniture parts though.

Random thought:  Couldn't you mount a twin screw vise vertically to use it as a leg vise, as another way of dealing with the racking issue?  The central handle of the twin turbo wouldn't be ideal there as it would end up too low.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, krtwood said:

My hand tool cabinet is on the wall right behind the vise end of the bench so I like to work there.  I occasionally even manage to not cover the bench in crap.  My walkways along the long sides of the bench are narrow so any vise there would impale me on a regular basis.  It's been a long time since I dealt with any long furniture parts though.

Random thought:  Couldn't you mount a twin screw vise vertically to use it as a leg vise, as another way of dealing with the racking issue?  The central handle of the twin turbo wouldn't be ideal there as it would end up too low.   

Could do a 14" version so the handle is a bit higher and then just make the chop longer? I like the idea.