What to watch for when buying a used bandsaw

Ksmith

I found a used rikon 14  10-326 on Craigslist. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow anything I should be on the lookout for? Also I have an hour and a half drive with it should I strap it in vertical or horizontal. Maybe stupid questions but I have no experience with a full sized bandsaw

I'd take some means of support with you, and lay it on it's back with support on both sides.  And several ratchet straps. The only time it should move while in a vehicle when moving is when you're in an accident.  All other times you want it locked down tight and supported from every angle you can manage it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, RichardA said:

I'd take some means of support with you, and lay it on it's back with support on both sides.  And several ratchet straps. The only time it should move while in a vehicle when moving is when you're in an accident.  All other times you want it locked down tight and supported from every angle you can manage it.

I'll be sure to bring a few 2x4 pieces and a moving blanket. Thank you. I have  several ratchet straps as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Let us know how it turns out! Exciting to get a “real” bandsaw in the shop :D 

Well it would have been, just texted the guy saying I was on my way.....he sold it this morning SMH. I had told him I would be there at 4 today. Back to the search I guess

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Ksmith said:

Well it would have been, just texted the guy saying I was on my way.....he sold it this morning SMH. I had told him I would be there at 4 today. Back to the search I guess

Welcome to Craigslist.

Set up alerts... 

https://www.howtogeek.com/363109/how-to-set-up-craigslist-alerts-for-email-or-sms/

The good stuff goes fast, you need to find it as soon as it's posted.   Then you need to jump on it fast.   And pick it up fast.

It helps to really know what you're looking for, have a good idea what you're willing to pay.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Minnesota Steve said:

Welcome to Craigslist.

Set up alerts... 

https://www.howtogeek.com/363109/how-to-set-up-craigslist-alerts-for-email-or-sms/

The good stuff goes fast, you need to find it as soon as it's posted.   Then you need to jump on it fast.   And pick it up fast.

It helps to really know what you're looking for, have a good idea what you're willing to pay.

Thanks for posting this I've heard Drew mention it but never took the time to look up how to do it.

Now if you could provide me this same functionality for Festool Recon i'll be set lol

Just realized you are in our area. It's been a dry spring for tools and wood. I haven't seen near as much as when there isn't snow on the ground.Once people start moving their snowblowers back to their sheds or where ever they store them I'm expecting more tools to show up.

With flooding that's been happening lately I' look for rust in the lower cabinets. I'd also check for rust in areas you don't want rust like on the wheel bearings and table trunions. A little bit on the table can be cleaned up but if it's badly pitted it might cause problems.

Hope your staying dry.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ksmith said:

The spiraling level of integrity of the human race continues to haunt me.  This person had no problem with you wasting a 3 hour round trip for him to tell you he sold it already!?!  Disturbing. I would lose sleep over treating someone so disrespectfully but, I'm old :huh:

To your question as to what to look for with the saw unplugged:

• General signs of abuse.
    • If a machine looks to have been ridden hard I dig pretty deep or adjust my offer.
  • Things move as they should.
    • Table adjusts.
    • Throat plate and table pin present
    • Wheels turn freely.
    • Bearings, mountings and motor shaft are slop-free.
  • Mobility kit is in good condition, if present.
  • Guide post moves as it should.
    • Easily.
    • Follows a true path.
  • Blade guides are present and fully functional.
  • Blade tensions and runs reasonably true.
    • Blades and tires are easily replaced so condition is not critical until you turn the saw on ;-)

Plug the saw in:

• 'Electricals' function.
    • Motor.
    • Lights, if any.
  • Top wheel adjusts easily for tracking.
  • Functions properly under the stress of cutting

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gee-dub said:

The spiraling level of integrity of the human race continues to haunt me.  This person had no problem with you wasting a 3 hour round trip for him to tell you he sold it already!?!  Disturbing. I would lose sleep over treating someone so disrespectfully but, I'm old :huh:

I'm right there with you gee-dub!