Angle measuring tools

Wanted to draw a right angle triangle on a piece of timber with the long flat side down and the the 45 deg tip facing up as if I was setting out a pair of fences for a mitre sled but I only had my speed square which obviously wouldn't sit flat on the timber and it got me wondering.

What tools do you use for measuring / marking angles ?      cheap flat plastic protractors / triangles available from office supplies ?

interested to hear what you guys are using / find useful, tips and tricks as well

Geoff

For marking or measuring angles I use a sliding T bevel and a Veritas bevel setter.  Either set the sliding T bevel to the proper angle with the bevel setter, or, if I want to measure an angle, set the sliding bevel to the angle to be measured and then read it off of the bevel setter.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=52403&cat=1,42936,50298,52403

My "Marking" toolbox weighs about 35 pounds.   I use this one to set a sliding bevel a lot of times:

click on the second picture to show the angle setting side of it.

https://www.rockler.com/igaging-12-center-rule-angle-gauge?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4qvlBRDiARIsAHme6osz00bsdI3bTQ6qX575Hr-H6sfIc6RCP1PD0-CNUxN1aojYYLe9-KIaAvs2EALw_wcB

Also, an old Stanley angle divider gets used frequently, but they stopped making them long ago.  Someone else probably makes one now.

I can't think of a project I've made where I actually measured an angle by degrees. Typically, I mark where the angled cut meets its mating piece, and set a bevel gague to where the lines cross.

The more I learn and do, the less I rely on ruled measuring devices. Marking gagues, straight edges, and compass / dividers seem to be so much more accurate for transferring dimensions.

I have a knock off of a Stanley square that also came with a center finder and a bevel/angle gauge.  About the only time I've used a bevel was to make a hexagon (see the knife block in my gallery).  If I did more turning I might use it to do glue ups.