Lathe Cabinet

..Kev

1 minute ago, Mark J said:

Nice.  Always glad to see a fellow woodworker falling further into the turning rabbit.  When you get to the point where you're ready to look at a grinder take a momment to consider a CBN wheel. 

I currently have the Tormek and plan on keeping it but, I will also be adding a slow speed grinder with CBN wheels for the lathe tools.  The cool part is that this station will easily give me enough room for both.

The Ashley Harwood guild series was one of my favorites in terms of instruction!  I really do not classify myself as a turner but, there's so much to learn and absorb in that series that I'll have to watch it about 10 times to really get a grasp on that much information!

5 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Nice.  Always glad to see a fellow woodworker falling further into the turning rabbit.  When you get to the point where you're ready to look at a grinder take a momment to consider a CBN wheel. 

The cabinet is going to work well for a lathe station.  Since I don't have space for a slow speed grinder, I changed the wheel on my tormek to a CBN.  It eliminates the water, and doesn't wear out so it will never have to be replaced. 

• Like 1

CBN wheels are perfect for HSS lathe tools, which, when new, often need a lot of re-shaping.  But you can't use CBN on carbon steel tools, such as plane blades and chisels when these need a bevel re-ground.  

I sold my Tormek to buy a grinder with two CBN wheels only to discover the above.  So in the best case scenario have both.  I'm now noting with interest the Rikon grinder on sale at Rockler.

• Like 1

Kev I love your videos and all the storage solutions you have come up with but personally I would not want my lathe on a cabinet for a couple reasons. First the ability to get right up to the work without hitting your knee's on the cabinet may be problematic. Second my lathe sites quite a bit taller than my other cabinets in the shop. Finally I keep my lathe at a slight angle to the wall so that when that bowl comes flying off (yeah I know it never will right up until it does) it bounces away from me and not directly back at me. Having said all that I am getting ready to make my bar cabinets for the basement and appreciate all the cabinet building tips you are sharing very timely for me :)  

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Kev I love your videos and all the storage solutions you have come up with but personally I would not want my lathe on a cabinet for a couple reasons. First the ability to get right up to the work without hitting your knee's on the cabinet may be problematic. Second my lathe sites quite a bit taller than my other cabinets in the shop. Finally I keep my lathe at a slight angle to the wall so that when that bowl comes flying off (yeah I know it never will right up until it does) it bounces away from me and not directly back at me. Having said all that I am getting ready to make my bar cabinets for the basement and appreciate all the cabinet building tips you are sharing very timely for me :)  

My lathe is a full sized lathe and won't be sitting on top of this cabinet.  This cabinet will sit directly off the tail stock end of the lathe.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:10 AM, Mark J said:

CBN wheels are perfect for HSS lathe tools, which, when new, often need a lot of re-shaping.  But you can't use CBN on carbon steel tools, such as plane blades and chisels when these need a bevel re-ground.  

I sold my Tormek to buy a grinder with two CBN wheels only to discover the above.  So in the best case scenario have both.  I'm now noting with interest the Rikon grinder on sale at Rockler.

I'm curious what issues you had grinding irons, and chisels with a CBN wheel.   I've been doing it for several years now, and haven't had any problems.

According to the supplier CBN's are only for turning HSS.  They clog up when you use them with carbon steel such as carpenters chisels and plane irons.   Sharpening a HSS scraper is supposed to help remove the carbon steel particles.