New tool brag

Chet

I expect a thorough and in depth review of the impact to your wallet! :P  jokes.

That's exciting, what is your existing router? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the 1400. I've been tossing around buying one of those myself some day but i can't seem to pull the trigger. I really like the porter cable 890 sets that i have. The big benefit is the PC edge guide is amazing and dust collection is quite good as well. Plunge action isn't the greatest though.

The EC 150 is a great sander i doubt you'd be disappointed.

42 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That's exciting, what is your existing router?

I have the 3 1/2 hp Porter Cable (motor only) in my table.  Bosch Colt trim router but one you are probably interested in in a comparison is the Bosch 1617 which I have liked for the most part and I really can't complain to much about it because I didn't pay for it.  The one thing that was a draw back and got me to looking else were was that the switch isn't on the handle and even though it has the slow start feature when you start it moves just enough to frustrate you.  I was looking at Bosch's other plunge router but there was a lot of negative reviews concerning the plunge action. 

The one thing that I was concerned about with the 1400 is the ergonomics of the handles.  It is setup basically for right handed use concerning the power switch and I am a lefty.  Usually things like that don't bother me but when I was researching the purchase, looking at the photos just struck me wrong. :o   If you turn the router around so the power switch is in your left hand then the plunge turret is on the back side of the router.  But I finally decided to go ahead with the purchase because I figured if it didn't work out it would be no problem getting a decent resale price for it.  Using it just enough to test it yesterday and I don't think it's going to be a problem.

It does seem to be noticeably quieter then my other routers and the micro adjust on the edge guide is way nicer then the Bosch.

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

I expect a thorough and in depth review of the impact to your wallet! :P  jokes.

Well it wasn't too bad because it was planned for. ;)  I have a small business that I run from home since I retired, it only requires about 250 hours of my time per year and all the net income is disposable. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chet said:

I figured if it didn't work out it would be no problem getting a decent resale price for it.

If you aren't sold on it don't forget festools awesome return policy. I didn't love one of the sanders i bought from them despite the sales guy hyping the crap out of it. I returned the sander and 4 boxes of paper and we only had to haggle on the paper. I used 1 sheet from the 4 boxes. They took it though and basically charged me $2 per sheet which i was ok with over loosing $150 on sandpaper i couldn't use.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm responding to this a couple of weeks late.. but oh well. I gotta get that brushless 150. That and an extractor. 

The 1400 router won me over with nothing more than the racheting collet. Just brilliant. I use it way more than the other 3 routers I got. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the bit changes on the routers do leave you pleasantly content. Its what some people attribute to "German Engineering". Those subtle design decisions that can really make a car/product stand out from its competitors. 

I really hope you take to the 1400 grip. I hated the thing, and sold it a year ago to buy a used 2200. The 2200 is a fantastic little machine. I wish they made a 1400watt version on the 2200 platform at he 1400 price. I dont think you need anymore power than 1400, but the design is a lot better on the bigger machine--more than just the grip difference, but the grip is a big part of it. The 2200 is way too expensive for many to give it a shot though. 

I have an older ETS 150, and i keep thinking about selling it to buy the EC. Twins on the way, so my tool days are done. It looks like a vastly improved sander.