Air dried live edge craze in the Northwest

Smashedfinger

I live in Washington state in Hoodsport, along the Olympic peninsula. Everyone around here seems to be nuts for live edge furniture and shelves. Everyone seems to have a portable mill and selling Silver Maple, and Cedar slabs. The problem is they are air dried and never seem to be stable enough to make something out of. I've seen many cracked,warped, twisted tables that were made from air dried stock. It's everywhere around here in restaurants, businesses and homes. I have found a source for kiln dried slabs, but the sticker shock would floor an elephant! I'm not sure what one would do to stabilize one of these slabs, so it doesn't crack or warp? I have seen kiln dried Cedar going for 20.00 a bf for slabs!

26 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Agreed. But I would argue that they are already slipping out of fashion.

I knew that, if I waited long enough, I could avoid the "fashion-du jour".  I have been avoiding "trends" all my life - so much simpler that way.

I made a live edge coffee table a few years ago and I think it looks great in the room it’s in, with a stucco fireplace, exposed wood beams and duck mounts. However, I am glad I got that out of my system. Sharp clean edges are back in style for me. 

I hope the trend dies soon as well. I have no problem with it per se just that my wood supplier makes so much money on the slabs for less work that he doesn't cut much dimensional lumber anymore. Can't blame the guy more money less work and all but kind of a bummer.

Air drying on the Olympic Peninsula means it would never be dry enough to be used in  conditioned-air environment. 

The only Rain forest in North America is there. It’s a lovely, but incredibly soggy part of the world. 

You could buy wet and dry indoors like Cremona does. Otherwise, Kile dried is likely the only option for usable stock.