invented new way to set dock pilings

Tom King

An older lady that lives not far away has a dock that her deceased husband built in the mid '80's.  All the wood is still fine, but there were some mistakes made in the structural design of the joist layout.  Long story short, it has several places with severe sagging.  She had a couple of dock companies come out and look.  Prices were 11k, and 19k to replace the exposed deck part, since the boat lifts part of it is fine.  All the decking boards need is a good pressure washing.

She is on fixed income, and could afford neither.  She called my Mother, now 103, and my Mother asked me if I could go look at it.  

Not that we need anything else to do, but I said I'd go over and check it out.  After loading up a truckload of stuff, and cutting a downed tree out of the way in her yard, we had the first new piling set where one should have been to start with.

It involves a 2-ton chain hoist, a setup of 3' high scaffolding, and a 35 pound dumbbell.  Fortunately, there is sandstone about 4' down, so they don't need to be pounded so deep.  We took up a few decking boards at the lowest part of a dip.  I drilled a 1-3/4" hole through a 12' 4x6 in 5' of water. 3' high scaffolding is set up around the post, with a 2' wide stage on each side of the post.  Chain through hole holds top of chain hoist.  Chain hoist lifts sagging deck, and with all that weight hanging on the post, each tap of the 35 pound dumbbell drops it several inches,  Just hanging it on the chainhoist pulled it down the first couple of feet.  

Took about 2 hours to find, and load everything we needed, get to the dock after cutting the tree, and about an hour to set up, and set the first piling.  We had a small crowd watching, including some fishermen in Bass boats.  All were impressed.  

We're going back after 6 this evening to set the other needed post.  By then the Sun will be behind the trees.  Right now it's 93 with maximum humidity, and I don't work outside in those conditions.

Pictures coming.  Waiting on phone to send to computer.

• Like 1

This sounds interesting. Most docks around here are on wheels and get wheeled in and out every year. If you don't do that windblown ice will destroy them the first winter. This sounds like an awesome way to sink the posts for the dock. I'm interested in the pictures.

Lost that picture, and too hot to go back to work this evening.  Still 92 degrees here at 6:30.  I'll take some more pictures in the morning.

The water level on the lake here is maintained with only a one foot variation.  It froze over in 1977, but never since.  There were a lot of docks heaved up then, but it's never happened since.  For those reasons, all docks are on pilings.

Yes, Kerr Lake, upstream of ours in the same Roanoke River varies as much as 30 feet, and they have some really elaborate floating docks there.  The lake downstream, Roanoke Rapids Lake, also varies in height, but not as much as Kerr Lake.  Both were built before our Lake Gaston.

Kerr Lake has a huge concrete dam, and is the one most used for flood control.  Ours has an earthen dam, and later designed high efficiency turbines that require a more constant head of water.  I think the real reason is the power company didn't want to go to the expense of building a concrete dam.  In any case, it works out good for us.

Our lake is 35 miles long, and covers 20,000 + acres, but the most upstream 10 miles is not much more than just like the river was before they built all the dams.  That tail end is the part you cross on I85.  Most people who have crossed the lake on 85 think they have seen the lake.

Took more pictures this morning.  Loading them now.