DW735 crashed and burned

ronnie

Topic title tells all. My question is where can I buy a good planner for around 200.00 to 300.00 dollars ?

Even though my planner went out on me, I still think that is one of the best bench top planners on the market...

The no hassle adjustments, And easy blade change are just a couple of conveniences that come with the DW735..

Does any one have any ideas where I can get another planner thats almost as good as the DW735 for around 2-3 hundred dollars?

Thanks any suggestions would be much appreciated....

I'd love to hear how it died too, I've never heard of one just rolling over before. But for a suggestion on a new one, I am using a DeWalt 734 that works very well.

1/2" narrower then the 735 but comes with the infeed and outfeed tables that fold up and is in a more portable lunchbox type format. It has three cutters like the 735 but only one speed.

Dust collection is via a plastic shroud that clips and screws onto the unit but when the shroud is on, you can't close the outfeed table. Not a big deal since it sits on a stand most of the time for me but if you need it to be portable a lot, I can see that being a pain.

Very little snipe when using the cutter head lock and the thickness gauge is a nice feature. The crank has a disk that tells you how far each turn of the crank will lower the head.

It should be right around the $300 mark...

-Jim

I assume you are referring to the motor. Go to Dewalt.com and sign up for their support forum (or whatever it is called). It is free. You can then look up parts schematics. Get the part number, and price right there online. If it is still too expensive. Dewalt used too have a guaranteed rebuild price on tools. The prices were pretty steep, but cheaper than a new unit. I don't know if they still do that it has been about ten years since I used that service.

Just a thought.

I assume you are referring to the motor. Go to Dewalt.com and sign up for their support forum (or whatever it is called). It is free. You can then look up parts schematics. Get the part number, and price right there online. If it is still too expensive. Dewalt used too have a guaranteed rebuild price on tools. The prices were pretty steep, but cheaper than a new unit. I don't know if they still do that it has been about ten years since I used that service.

Just a thought.

Yes you are right it is the motor.. I checked every thing and I figured out that it was the motor that went out. I would like to fix it if I could. The problem is you just cant buy a new motor for it.. You have to buy the internal parts for the motor. To me that dont make no since. I need a new motor and they dont sell the whole thing.. I already disassembled the whole thing to get to the motor. Already took the motor out and every thing. Now I have already started taking the motor apart. And that is real hard to do, And now looks like I am at a road block doing that. I have went online and looked at the Dewalt website and got the skematics for my model. Thats how I know you cant just buy a motor for it. And the motor is hard to take apart. I am not trying to sound negative about the whole thing, these are just some of the things that I have been dealing with.

Any more sugestions would be much appreciated, Thanks...

i don't have a dewalt planner, but when my delta went belly up i looked up the authorized repair shop nearest me. they took the broken planner i was sure i was never going to see it again. two days later they called and they said it was just brushes they fixed that and replaced a gear with a missing tooth i got out of there for $50 or $60. look through the paperwork that came with your planner or navigate through the dewalt site. when you go to a shop you can tell them to call you before the repair is going to exceed a certain amount. sorry for your loss!

i don't have a dewalt planner, but when my delta went belly up i looked up the authorized repair shop nearest me. they took the broken planner i was sure i was never going to see it again. two days later they called and they said it was just brushes they fixed that and replaced a gear with a missing tooth i got out of there for $50 or $60. look through the paperwork that came with your planner or navigate through the dewalt site. when you go to a shop you can tell them to call you before the repair is going to exceed a certain amount. sorry for your loss!

I agree. It's probably just the brushes need to be replace. There's not much else that can go wrong with a motor. At least, not that I know of.

Breaking down a motor can make you want to pull your hair out. That is really weird that there is no motor assembly listed. Odd for Dewalt. I still would attempt to contact a service center and ask them if they can get you one. Just never know. You might also check a local electrical motor shop. Maybe they could rebuild.

Did you test the other electrics to make sure it wasn't a switch or wire. Not trying to be an jerk, but I have done that.

I looked at the bushings and they dont look all that bad. Matter of fact they look pretty good. They dont look like they have a lot of wear on them.. If you want me to I can take a picture and let you all look at it...

brushes and bushings are two different parts. you may want to check the "brushes" on your planer as a previous poster suggested. your planer may have even come with a spare set.

What are brushes? And I bought my DW735 used, so I dont have any paper work....

This might help:

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/dewalt-dw735-type-inch-planer-parts-c-1009_2664_2987.html

Brushes conduct the current between the moving motor shaft and the stationary outer shell of an electric motor in most power tools (some new designs are brushless) occasionally the brushes go out of alignment and can burn out from fluctuations in output because they aren't aligned correctly from what I understand. Usually you'll start seeing sparks around the motor when they go out of alignment because the power is arcing longer distances to get from the shaft to the brush. They could go the other way too and the brush could get to close to the shaft and short out the motor as well.

At least thats what I understand of how brushes work, I may have oversimplified it or gotten something wrong :)

-Jim

Thanks again every one............ :):):)

And yes I found a serice center right down the road from where I live...

cool huh....

Also, To extend the life of the DeWalt #735 motor, user replaceable brushes are included with a new unit. Access to the brushes is easy, requires no special tools and the procedure is explained in detail in the instruction manual. So I'm guessing you should easily be able to repair it if brushes are your problem.