Old Craftsman Jointer

rainjer

My dad was given a jointer like this one several year ago by a family friend and has been in his garage since then. My parents are now in the process of down sizing an are planning on moving out of state and my dad has offered it to me. It is a 6" Craftsman jointer for the 70's. As fr as I know it runs. I currently don't own a jointer but and would like to have one but this would take up a lot of space. My shop is 1/2 of my 2 car garage so space is a premium. I already have a Miter saw on a stand, Delta 36-725 table saw, Kreg router table, 14" band saw, (2) 24 X 60" bench, a spindle sander, small combo sander and small drill press.  Most are on mobile bases so I able to move things around as need. 

My first question is is it worth getting? (quality) 

Second can I put it on a mobile base and do they make one to fit it?  Are that any issues with using on on a mobile base?

Besides needing to be cleaned up, replacing the belt, making sure everything moves and sharpening or replacing the blades, is there anything else i need to look at?

I helped him move this when he got it so I know t is very heavy. I don't wan to get it if it is just a boat anchor. 

Jeremy

6b405cd2-add7-4962-8231-40a7513b4183.jpg

You can't go wrong at that price.  Yes, you can get a mobile base for it but, I would see if you can get it on a smaller base to save room for you.  Sharpen the knives, square up the fence and give it a test run.

The big 3 are important in any woodworking shop.  Jointer, planer, table saw.

A jointer would be very complimentary to your other tools. Like Kev says this is one of the big three. You have the table saw. Dressing lumber is a basic foundation of any woodworking project. Next on the list is a planer. Mobile bases is a very good idea especially in a small shop.