Avoid Varathane Rattle Can Poly

Chestnut

I needed to spray one of those game boards I make. I didn't want to lug in the HVLP for 1 board and make a mess of the shop so I figured I'd just use the rattle can version and knock it out fast. WRONG. The stuff in the aerosol can is awful. I spent more time trying to get enough down to flatten out than it would have taken me to brush on from the can. If I didn't lay down a heavy coat the surface finish would have looked like 60 grit sand paper.

I don't want to give a complete don't buy because it has it's place. It is still marginally easier than digging out my HVLP and spray proofing my shop though. The over spray from the can is less than from the HVLP so i guess it could be used in tighter quarters.

1218191859.thumb.jpg.6c38c0814aa0011d8fb23bb757128cf5.jpg

Has any one had good luck with any aerosol polyurethane?

Do they sell it in solvent based?    Modern solvent based spray paint works amazingly nicely.   I wouldn't spray it in the house though.  Water based is just too finicky to get all the planets aligned correctly for it to come out good from a spray can.

I bought a can of Ace Hardware brand to paint (solvent) a John Deere fuel tank, after we fixed a leak in it, and the paint job looked like it came out of a factory.  I couldn't have done better with my best gun.  I just bought the Ace can because it wasn't that important to me to get a top quality paint job, and they are close.  I probably would have bought a name brand, if they had it in John Deere green, but they didn't.

Yeah spaying indoors so solvent is out unfortunately. I can't spray outside as its like 8F.

I lugged the hvlp in from the shed. I'll just have to do it this way. Maybe i had a defective can. I'll see if i can return it. After it dried the surface finish was garbage and I'll have to sand it off.

I've tried it a couple of times and had very mediocre results. Spray shellac works great, as does lacquer from a spray can. I think the poly gums up the inside of the nozzle almost instantly. I always find it's uneven and sprays the occasional blob of finish. I just brush instead.

22 minutes ago, SawDustB said:

I've tried it a couple of times and had very mediocre results. Spray shellac works great, as does lacquer from a spray can. I think the poly gums up the inside of the nozzle almost instantly. I always find it's uneven and sprays the occasional blob of finish. I just brush instead.

With all the little dimples in the board it's really really hard to brush.

photo5039695040531769305(1).thumb.jpg.62453b363c2fc7d2e2eb7255979ebb2c.jpg

Each spot grabs a bunch of finish off the brush and causes a buildup in the hole.
Shellac is a great idea as is lacquer, I'm also not sure how well they'll hold up over time with it being a heavy use item like a board game.

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I'd use butcher block finish...oil & wax.

Yeah that doesn't sound like it hold up to random alcoholic beverages being spilled on it. It'd be easy for me to refresh but I'm not the end user. The people i sell these too use them camping and outside so i need a finish pretty bullet proof.

I wish I would have read this post ealier...I'm making picture frames for xmas and also a first project and used varathane water based poly. Most of the frames worked well, but my purple heart frames might be dead. Has anyone in here experienced this weird green color in the grain after finishing...I'm very much a noob so maybe there is some weird chemistry with purple heart that I'm not aware of. Please give me some.of your thoughts. Happy woodworking everyone.

20191221_194705.jpg

20191221_194624.jpg

20191221_194603.jpg

20191221_194552.jpg

18 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Water-borne poly typically has a clear to slightly blue-ish tint. Hard to imagine that green could show from purple just as a color mix. Purpleheart is an oily wood, maybe there is a bit of chemical reaction?

Must be some sort of reaction, I did notice the bluish tints as I sprayed. I'm hoping sanding will remove most of the blue green but oh well. My family won't say out loud that its ugly as hell....haha...the best part about this is it's a learning experience. Cant get better if I don't mess up along the way.

• Like 1

A few thoughts...

I don’t have experience with Purple Heart, but many tropical woods like it have yellowish material left by dried sap. Blue and yellow make green. 

Purple Heart does not stay purple. It turns brown with time. Did you know this? Just FYI as the color may not stay greenish. 

I think this might be a good case for shellac as a barrier coat. Try a sample with shellac on it first and see if you like it. 

Finally, since Steve is not here to say it himself...it is good practice to keep some off cuts from your project, on which to test your whole finish schedule. 

5 hours ago, Tpt life said:

A few thoughts...

I don’t have experience with Purple Heart, but many tropical woods like it have yellowish material left by dried sap. Blue and yellow make green. 

Purple Heart does not stay purple. It turns brown with time. Did you know this? Just FYI as the color may not stay greenish. 

I think this might be a good case for shellac as a barrier coat. Try a sample with shellac on it first and see if you like it. 

Finally, since Steve is not here to say it himself...it is good practice to keep some off cuts from your project, on which to test your whole finish schedule. 

Said so well I will just say see above and move on :)

PS I have worked with PH but the above post is still right on in my opinion. FWIW I test any new finish/wood combination on scrap period. To much time making pieces to ruin it by not doing a quick test.

On 12/22/2019 at 5:16 AM, Tpt life said:

A few thoughts...

Got plenty of off cuts...that's a great idea I'll test more finishes. Hopefully they go well. Thanks for the advice.

15776136618054293998200575167878.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...