DC Blast Gates

bushwacked

6 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Lee valley self cleaning. Best blast gate for the money of the many I've tried.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/workshop/dust-collection/parts-and-accessories/51506-self-cleaning-blast-gates

they fit inside SDR35 pvc quite nicely.

Agreed, they are nice & nicely priced. And of course they leak, but only a miniscule amount. I seriously doubt there are totally leak proof ones, unless maybe if you spent a fortune on them.

• Like 1

I have similar gates to the ones posted above.

I personally think that people that think their gate leaks don't understand that there has to be some minor flow through the end of the gate or it will clog with dust and then won't close properly.

17 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I have metal pipe and blast gets never had any issues with keeping them clean or leaking, 15 years and counting. The dust collector should pull them tight when closed or am I missing something?

When I say they leak, I mean just enough that a small amount of air can be heard hissing at the gate. Certainly not enough to matter at all.

21 minutes ago, Chet said:

I have similar gates to the ones posted above.

I personally think that people that think their gate leaks don't understand that there has to be some minor flow through the end of the gate or it will clog with dust and then won't close properly.

These as self cleaning so the debrisgets pushed out when they are closed. Otherwise yes gates need some flow leaking to work right.

14 minutes ago, Coop said:

Should the gates be located to eliminate as much flex hose than convenience or a combination of both? 

Combination. An inconvenient blast gate will get left open don't ask me how i know :P.

23 minutes ago, drzaius said:

When I say they leak, I mean just enough that a small amount of air can be heard hissing at the gate. Certainly not enough to matter at all.

Mine seal pretty dang well. If they hiss i sure can't hear it over the collector. With hearing protection on i can't even tell if the dc is on our not let alone a hissing gate.

9 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Mine seal pretty dang well. If they hiss i sure can't hear it over the collector. With hearing protection on i can't even tell if the dc is on our not let alone a hissing gate.

Well, my collector is so quiet, being in its own little soundproof room, that I do hear the hiss of the gates when they're all closed. If I open one of them, then no, I don't hear them.

12 hours ago, Coop said:

Should the gates be located to eliminate as much flex hose than convenience or a combination of both? 

Flex hose adds drag which is not good so the shorter the better...having said that I have 20' of 6" flex hose to my J/P and never had an issue :ph34r:

• Like 1