Guest Posting

Mark J

17 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I think this might be a good thing. The number of active members has been dwindling, maybe a little new blood will help stir things up.

We might get a bit of a higher occurrence of the same handful of questions but this way we can just copy past responses or share links to threads where it's been answered.

• Like 1

This should not be the case. Guests have never had posting permissions at all. They should be set to read only. I looked at the settings and somehow they were given posting permission. If the forum community feels strongly that it wants guest posts, I can keep it enabled. Aside from some of the frustrations mentioned here, guest posts will bring a great deal of spam with them, which is why we force people to register if they want to post. 

Besides that, it's a little concerning that forum permissions are changing on their own, lol.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

Besides that, it's a little concerning that forum permissions are changing on their own, lol.

These changes appeared when the subscriptions were added back. Not sure if there were some  settings linked to that change.

Thanks for doing what you do and providing us a space to discuss woodworking.

24 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

These changes appeared when the subscriptions were added back. Not sure if there were some  settings linked to that change.

Thanks for doing what you do and providing us a space to discuss woodworking.

Unfortunately they are explicit and distinct settings for group permissions. It's literally a checkbox. The only two people with the ability to do it are me and Kev. And if we didn't do it, it was the server gremlins. :)

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

If it's a vote, I vote no, due to spam and other issues it can bring.

We still have the ability to moderate these posts and will do our usual diligence to weed out those posts.  Being a "guest" post, the staff will be taking a closer look at those as they pop up.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RichardA said:

I think some of us are concerned that we'll be getting the cast offs from the other forums that aren't quite as professional and dilligent as we are here.

We take all levels of people interested in the craft here so, I don't see that as being an issue.  We also have a good set of rules to remove problems as they happen just like we always have.

I can set up a poll. This is something I've never been in favor of simply because of the workload in managing guests. I always felt that the registration process in and of itself is a small barrier to entry that keeps the BS at a minimum. But, I'm not spending much time here anymore and the moderation tasks fall on Kev and the mods. So if they don't mind the additional work and the majority are in favor of the change, I can make it happen. Shall I open up a poll?

I've only seen 2 "guest posts" and both were legitimate questions that needed no moderation.  I don't know that it will be any "more" work on our part as I think we pay a little more attention to a new poster anyway than we do someone in long standing here.

With that said, I also see how it could be abused but, I haven't seen any sign of that yet and, we can still moderate those posts as we always have.

7 minutes ago, ..Kev said:

I don't know that it will be any "more" work on our part as I think we pay a little more attention to a new poster anyway than we do someone in long standing here.

Give it time. :) Even with the registration process and security features in place we occasionally get spammers. Imagine what happens when the barrier to entry is zero. It will very likely increase moderation for you guys. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thewoodwhisperer said:

Give it time. :) Even with the registration process and security features in place we occasionally get spammers. Imagine what happens when the barrier to entry is zero. It will very likely increase moderation for you guys. 

I know where the tic box is to turn it off ;)

The work here as a mod isn't that much and the members are great at reporting questionable stuff, but I am also thinking we don't want to start playing wack-a- mole with problems which takes away from why we are all here.  The registration process has never been that hard, I know that because I pulled it off.   

How did it work before?  When a guest tried to post did something pop up asking them to register before they would be allowed to post.

I won't say these are strong arguements, particularly given ..Kev's comments, but besides not wishing to add to the administrative overhead, I don't find myself overly inclined to generate a detailed answer to a question posed by someone who appears to be just passing by.  

But as stated, the moderators don't appear put out, and how many times have we gone to lengths to write respones to a new member's question only for there to be no sign the individual ever returned to read them.

Let me ask, is there any real advantage to leaving Guest comment active?