Round Table Calculation Help

dvanvleet

I am about to start on a round table, but having mental issues with the calculations. I would like the pieces that make the table to be wedge/pie shaped. The table will be 54" in diameter so the circumference is about 170". What I am struggling with is calculating how many individual boards I will need, and at what width. I know that if I use "x" number of boards you divide that by 360 to get the angles, etc, but I'm not sure how wide my boards need to be to determine how many boards I will need. 

Does any of this make sense? Anyone done this before? 

How wide are the boards you have available to build this? Subtract a bit for waste on the width, add a bit to the circumference figure to allow for waste. Then divide the width into the circumference to get the number of boards, adjust your figures until the result is a whole number. At that point you can divide 360 by that number to get the cutting angle.
One problem you will face is wood movement. Such an arrangement is prone to crack from expansion and contraction unless there is a hole in the middle. Segmenters overcome this with a floating disk when making a bottom for their bowl, disk is not glued in and room for expansion is left in the joint.

Good luck with it! 

In a recent project journal, I described how I determined the proper angle and widths to cut staves to form a 24-segment tube.

See this Journal.

The same process will apply to your problem, the segment size at the outer diameter of the circle sets the minimum width of each board or panel. If you intend to make the circle of all radial-cut boards, be prepared for a ton of waste. Like, close to 50%. The triangle you cut from each board is equal in are to 1/2 the rectangle of the original board. You can limit this by cutting 2 opposing triangles from one slightly wider board, but the grain will not be truly radial in the resulting circle.

Radials.thumb.jpg.f9f2c1b1c7f2f7ef7931f2641076a5e2.jpg

Personally, I would probably do radial quadrants, like this (on quadrant illustrated):

Quadrants.jpg.093745e9a8c188e3539f8f0f403a76fc.jpg

• Like 1

+1 to both of the above, partcularly the remarks about wood movement.  The center of the table must be an open circle to allow for movement.  That circle can be "filled" with a round loose panel, much the same as the loose panel on a cabinet door, but the sector shaped boards can't meet at a point.  

• Like 1

• Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 57 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e