Deck Stain

legenddc

We had our deck built in April/May and it's now time to power wash it and stain/seal it. Due to our HOA we have pretty limited options and will be doing a clear stain. I know decks will require ongoing maintenance but I'd rather not have to do this every 3 months because I used the wrong product.

Any recommendation for clear finishes on pressure treated lumber? I have about 500 ^ft of deck and 30' of railings I have to finish so any tips for getting it down would be great too.

Glad I didn’t offend you. We’ve never had one as our neighborhood is rather old. I have a good friend that wanted to be involved in his and joined. He said his phone rang 24/7 and he got out. People pissing and moaning. I agree, it should be for cars in the yard and in the street, etc., but sometimes it’s worse than Washington DC! Oh, and good luck on your deck! 

Every neighborhood around here has an HOA. I've never had any issues nor have my parents or friends. With our town HOA we get access to at least a dozen pools, 50ish tennis courts and miles and miles of trails, picnic areas, etc.

As long as you understand the rules it's easy to work around.

For deck stain my first thought, which I'm probably to late now, was one of those trendy hardwax oil blend things that wouldn't form a film and would be easy to fix if needed. Also Marc used a product when he did that pergola video that i thought was interesting but I don't remember the details.

3 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Every neighborhood around here has an HOA. I've never had any issues nor have my parents or friends. With our town HOA we get access to at least a dozen pools, 50ish tennis courts and miles and miles of trails, picnic areas, etc.

As long as you understand the rules it's easy to work around.

Yeah but i get all that and don't have an HOA... I wonder if they have to structure it as an HOA because there aren't local governments established to set ordinances/levy taxes to accomplish the same thing?

I think the horror stories of overreaching HOA's are the exception not the norm. I know a few people that live in HOA neighborhoods and the HOA exists solely to maintain some common/park space and there are zero rules on what you can/can't do on your lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

For deck stain my first thought, which I'm probably to late now, was one of those trendy hardwax oil blend things that wouldn't form a film and would be easy to fix if needed. Also Marc used a product when he did that pergola video that i thought was interesting but I don't remember the details.

I was thinking about that but I couldn't find the video anywhere. Osmo clear doesn't offer any UV protection and I'll have to research Rubio some more. Seems like it's just the normal stuff that people use for indoor furniture?

I half expected Tom to come on here and say use Sherwin Williams which is 3x+ as much as Thompson's or Olympic deck sealer.

13 hours ago, Coop said:

And your HOA denotes what kind of stain you have on your deck? Do they use drones? Sorry, I hate HOA’s! 

Before we moved back from CO we painted the house the same color as it was. Because it was the same color, still had a can from the original paint, I didn't get approval from the HOA. Painted the house, sold the house, two days before we moved I get a letter from the HOA I had been fined $150 for not getting approval to change the paint color. I was like WTH? As it turned out since the house had faded in the CO sun they said the color was changed I showed proof that I used the same paint. Nope still need to pay the $150 to which I said good luck with that and it has never been paid.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Before we moved back from CO we painted the house the same color as it was. Because it was the same color, still had a can from the original paint, I didn't get approval from the HOA. Painted the house, sold the house, two days before we moved I get a letter from the HOA I had been fined $150 for not getting approval to change the paint color. I was like WTH? As it turned out since the house had faded in the CO sun they said the color was changed I showed proof that I used the same paint. Nope still need to pay the $150 to which I said good luck with that and it has never been paid.

There are some very small, small minds that keep themselves busy with that sort of thing.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, drzaius said:

There are some very small, small minds that keep themselves busy with that sort of thing.

Agreed! I live in the country on 5 acres which has its own issues, primarily anything goes :)

I still get to deal with HOA though becuase my MIL lives in a over 55 patio home community so there is that LOL

• Like 1