Extra Bandsaw Blades

Mark J

I'm thinking of availing myself of Laguna's sale and picking up a couple of extra bandsaw blades.  Right now I have a 3/4" ReSaw King and a Laguna Proforce 1/4" by 4 tpi.  I also have a 5/8" 4 tpi that came with the saw.  I use the ReSaw King most, but the 1/4" seemed like a good all around blade, able to cut as tight a curve as I am likely to need. 

I'm thinking of adding another blade or two.  The 1/4" 14 tpi seems like it would be a good addition for thin material.  They also have a 1/4" 6 tpi, but I'm wondering if that really adds much functionality over the 4 tpi I already have?  They have wider blades, e.g. 3/8", but I don't see what the advantage would be, given the other two blades I already have. 

I have also been thinking about taking advantage of Laguna's sale but more to fulfill a 2nd band saw for my shop so i can have a 1/4" blade mounted and a 3/4" blade mounted. I find myself wanting to use both far to often.

So my answer is a 1/4" blade and a 3/4" blade are about all I need. The point of the 3/8" blades is to possibly bridge the gap between the resaw blades and the curve cutting blades to allow someone to do larger curves but also resaw smaller boards without having to change blades. My favorite blade width is 1/2" as it was reasonably good at resawing but also cut decent curves.

If you are switching blades I'd have a 1/4" and 3/4" and would tend to ignore the middle. A higher TPI blade is good for thinner material but it can also be used for smoother cuts on some thicker material as long as you cut slowly. and by thicker i mean a 14 tpi blade could maybe be pushed to cut an inch thick. It would be inefficient but may work.

5 hours ago, BillyJack said:

I've never had a good understanding to band saw blades. Is there any good charts out there?

There are several charts out there.  When it comes to how tight a curve you can get with a given blade thickness they all pretty much agree.  When it comes to how many teeth should be in the material they seem to vary a lot.  Then you get into a discussion of what shape of tooth does what kind of cutting best, but when buying a blade, by the time I have the right length width and tpi, there's no choice in tooth shape.  

Anyway, it was a deal so I ordered the 14 and the 6 tpi, 'cause maybe I'll make another bandsaw box or try a reindeer.