First router slot cutter

Jabberwo

Hi,

I'm a woodworking neophyte.  A project I'm thinking of working on requires me to make a door, cutting a slot for a panel.  Figured to try the router way of doing it.

I currently have just a beginner set of MLCS bits, no slot cutters. Don't really know what I'm looking for or trusted brands.  Do I want to buy a single bit or put together a kit on my own by trying to figure out the right arbor, cutters, and bearings (saw listed on Rockler)?

thanks for the help,

Jab

Hi,

Shaker style closet type door to close up the closet/chase I just put around my stink pipe. So need 1/4" slots in the rails and "stopped" slots in the stiles (don't want to see 'em). I know lots of youtubers use their table saws. Others use their router table with a slot cutter. I'd like to try the latter.

So yes to your question about router table. It will be done in MDF.  

Just when I look on Amazon or Rockler I see some individual slot cutters. And then I see arbors, blades and bearing being sold separately.  I'm afraid I wouldn't get the right matching sets doing the latter, but is it better in the long wrong so should I go that route? Guess that's the real question.  Not how to cut slots; but how to spend my Christmas money wisely.

Jab, how will you be attaching the rails to the stiles? I would cut each of the rails and stiles to length and use a 1/4” straight cutting bit, assuming your panel is 1/4”, on your router table, down the center of the edges that receive the panel. Then assemble your doors. There will be no slot showing on the rails. If you want the slight bevel on the inside edges that is popular with the shaker style, cut a slight one with a chamfering bit prior to assembly. 

• Like 1

I bought a set of the MLCS slot cutters and they work fine. It came with an arbor and one each of the common slot cutters, plus the necessary bearings. I do suggest you rig up a router table for this, even if it is only a piece of plywood with a hole in it and a piece of something rigged as a fence with clamps.

• Like 1

Or cut the groove on the table saw. Center the boards as close as possible to the blade, lock your fence and set the blade depth to your liking. After the first cut, flip the board end for end and repeat, this guaranteeing the cut is centered. Adjust your fence in or out a tad and repeat until you have the desired width. I might add, it’s best to run all of your rails and stiles thru before making the fence adjustments. 

• Like 2