Vac Blower, Filter Box, and Dust Deputy - Ver 3

gee-dub

2 hours ago, gee-dub said:

If someone could re-orient those last two pics I would appreciate it.  I have been unable to get them to "stay" ;-)

It's a flaw with the last forum software update.  What I do is text the photo from my phone to my phone, then save it.  The saved version posts upside right.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

It's a flaw with the last forum software update.  What I do is text the photo from my phone to my phone, then save it.  The saved version posts upside right.

Thanks Mark.  The funny thing is I had to resize these and strip the Exif data to make them orient correctly on another location.  In 'edit' mode when composing the thread they are correct.  Once saved they flip :P

53 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Two question, @gee-dub: Is there any added filter in the box, or only the original vac filter? And does this arrangement alter the vac noise in any way?  Looks like a really good way to improve the footprint of the two-stage vac setup. I bet emptying the collection tub is easier, too.

I switched over to Clean Stream filters back in 2005.  Still running the same three; one for each vac and one for swapping out.  If there is a noise difference without the plastic drum it may not be significant enough that I noticed it.  The Ridgid mufflers that I use do filter out some of the more annoying frequencies but, ear protection is still a must.  The footprint of the filter box itself is pretty small.  The fixture it is setting on allows me some storage in the footprint and yes, emptying is pretty easy.

P.s. I do have a nylon stocking stretched over the filter.  You may be seeing that in some of the pics.  No longer required with this setup.  I just failed to remove it.

2 hours ago, BillyJack said:

Nice work, but I get a headache trying to figure it out. Too complicated for me. 

:lol:  The basic pathway looks like this.

1081958619_DD-Idea-ver-3(20).jpg.db2a91042f11391e0a25de654b6d9d2d.jpg

All the other gobble-dee-gook is to support the DD, spoil container and a little storage.

I went ahead and added the reel.  I have used the vac with 35' of hose for years.  I wanted to test the performance with part of the hose still on board.

1680250176_DD-Idea-ver-3(31).jpg.e379e8fa4596792826c760fea6d8872f.jpg

1673954397_DD-Idea-ver-3(32).jpg.efe8d7d9d0c8f66a6ff03ec5f71767ea.jpg

Works fine and I'm happy with it.  It is a pain being between shops so I am just trying to take care of little things I can do prior to them breaking ground.

• Like 2

I have a 30 year old Craftsman shop vac that is donating its blower to a similar project. LIke yours, @gee-dub, it will have a Dust Deputy & dust bin, but the layout will be different & it will be mobile. My primary goals are to reduce the vacuum/DD foot print, make it more stable to move around, and make it quieter. Probably be a few months until I get to the project & I'll start a thread when I do.

I think you'll be happy Frank.  The concept has proven itself for me over the last several years.  I have a centralized DC and a small mobile one for odd tasks.  Some tools just collect better with a vac and of course there is always general clean up as well.  You already know this from owning a DD but, I clean the filter box a couple times a year and clean the filter every year whether it needs it or not ;).