Record Cabinet

bradpotts

23 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Really enjoying following along on this, I haven't done much veneer work but hope to do more in the future. Are you cutting with a razor knife or veneer saw?

I use both but mainly a razor with the grain and a veneer saw against the grain. The best book I have found for starting in veneer is "the craft of veneering" a complete guide from basic to advanced by Craig Thibodeau. I get almost all of my veneer materials from Veneersupplies.com 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

it has a label inside His Masters Voice with a picture of a dog on. HMV was a record retail company in the UK until it went bust a few years ago.

That's interesting in the U.S. His masters Voice and the dog were logo's of RCA Victor.  The dog's name was Nipper.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

It should look great when finished.

I still have a few old 33 and 45 vinyl records somewhere - probably in the attic. I don't have anything to play them on but I know some people are popularizing the format again. I do have a very old 1930's wind up gramophone player in a wooden cabinet on display in the dining room - it has a label inside His Masters Voice with a picture of a dog on. HMV was a record retail company in the UK until it went bust a few years ago.

We have a bunch of 78s that we dig out and put on it from time to time. It has real needles I guess made out of steel. When we show it to youngsters and show them how to turn the volume up and down they can't believe it. This player has a pair of doors on the front. When you want it louder open one of the doors. Even louder? open both. It cracks them up!

My mom has a lot of records. She never played them when I was growing up because the record player was broken. She just recently got a new one now that they have come back into style. She listens occasionally. My grandad although long passed has hundreds of Jazz records. 

On 3/24/2021 at 5:59 PM, bradpotts said:

My grandad although long passed has hundreds of Jazz records.

Some of those can be worth some pretty good money these day.  Especially in countries like Japan and France where Jazz is huge.

On 3/26/2021 at 5:47 PM, Chet said:

Some of those can be worth some pretty good money these day.  Especially in countries like Japan and France where Jazz is huge.

I'm not sure what ever happened to the records. I'm sure someone stored them somewhere. It would be interesting to go through them. 

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I have that same roller/applicator.  I have been using it for bent lamination glue ups, I've been real happy with it and it certainly speeds things up.

Yeah I’m very happy with it too. It makes large glue ups so much less stressful when you can apply that much glue quickly. 

• 2 weeks later...