Record Cabinet

bradpotts

22 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The technique seems awfully similar to hammer veneering but with the drawbacks of not getting to adjust much. Have you thought about trying hammer veneering in situations like you outlined above? There is also the PVA iron on method that seems interesting and could have some promise in situations where possible edge peeling is limited.

For those that aren't familiar the PVA iron on method is as follows. Coat both the veneer back and substrate with pva glue 2-3 layers and let it dry. Shortly after it dries position the veneer and use a warm-hot iron to reactivate the glue and attach the veneer to the substrate.

Yeah the method is similar to hammer veneering. I was thinking, I think the best method for using contact cement would be if you were working on something vertical. Like working on wall panels or changing the wood type of mission style cabinet door. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:30 AM, Chestnut said:

That veneer fix was expertly done it blends in extremely well.

So moving this into place with a crane or a forklift? Every picture i see shows how stout and beefy this piece is. I'm excited to see it glued together with finish on.

ha ha it is definitely heavy. A two person move. 

• 2 weeks later...