Wenge Front Door

That's a really nice looking door. The stained glass work is a really nice touch. Those side lights look a bit out of palce did they hire you to make soemthing to match there as well? Did I see that you used the Domino to do the main joinery for the door?

I've been tossing around making interior doors for our house some day and am just curious how a door like this compares in difficulty to making a cabinet door? They seem similar just a larger scale.

On 4/17/2021 at 8:43 AM, Chestnut said:

That's a really nice looking door. The stained glass work is a really nice touch. Those side lights look a bit out of palce did they hire you to make soemthing to match there as well? Did I see that you used the Domino to do the main joinery for the door?

I've been tossing around making interior doors for our house some day and am just curious how a door like this compares in difficulty to making a cabinet door? They seem similar just a larger scale.

The first picture and the video were done before I finished the side lights. The second picture taken outside shows the side lights that match. 

The main joinery is done style and rail just like cabinet doors just with a larger bit. The Dominos were used for more reinforcement and to help keep everything aligned. 

The door are very similar to making a cabinet door. The part that is a little more difficult is making sure that the hinges line up with the previous door jam hinges. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2021 at 2:49 PM, pkinneb said:

Very nice!! Really like the stained glass did you use one panel or is the an inner and outer? I would like to day a front door at some point as well.

There is an inner and outer panel. I just sandwiched the stained glass in between the two. 

20 minutes ago, bradpotts said:

Just one 

Thanks!! I have been kicking this around for a while but have never really looked into how to handle the thermal issues. I live in a colder climate and a single pane would probably not be enough. My guess is with a commercially made door they have one pane of stain glass and then another clear pane but not sure.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 8:04 AM, pkinneb said:

Thanks!! I have been kicking this around for a while but have never really looked into how to handle the thermal issues. I live in a colder climate and a single pane would probably not be enough. My guess is with a commercially made door they have one pane of stain glass and then another clear pane but not sure.

Sorry Paul, I misunderstood your question. The stained glass panel is sandwiched between two 1/4" panes of tempered glass. For the side lights, I added some foam between the stained glass and the regular glass and wrapped the whole window with window tape. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2021 at 8:51 PM, larryjhill704 said:

How did you construct the stave?  How thick are the hardwood?

Im going to attempt constructing a exterior door and have been looking at different construction techniques.

I want to say that the top and bottom veneer was 3/16 each. That would make the poplar core 1 3/8. I made the veneer oversized though to make sure that I could run it through the jointer and planer and not get down to the "core" Here is a picture of what it looks like. 

IMG_6223.thumb.jpeg.aadc944b7775a0616d3ba3a77d92da2b.jpeg

• Like 2