Beginner confused about dust collection

Behr

I'm really new to woodworking. I've made a few large desks, but they were built using hand tools. I just bought a SawStop PCS and I'm pretty excited to use it. The dust collection part has me confused though, so many options and products. What is the cheapest/most simple solution that I can get by with until I can save up more money for a better/permanent DC solution?

Thanks!

The harbor freight DC is inexpensive and works ok for getting started. The filter bag is crap so keep wearing a dust mask or respirator. It really just catches the big stuff and makes clean up easier.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

There are other units similar to this one that you just move the hose from machine to machine as you need it. Many take this unit and modify it once they figure out some goals and it can be a decent unit once modified. It will never be as good as a 3hp or 5 hp cyclone though they start in the thousands of dollars and operate best with a duct system.

A good option is to search craig's list or facebook for used units.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the HF DC is not showing online availability until late August. My local HF doesn't have any in stock. Robby - is Tickler the name brand? I did a google search but didn't find anything relevant.

Would the Rockler Dust Right Wall-Mount Dust Collector, 1250 CFM be a good unit to start with?

Edited by Behr
Added more information.

That makes sense. Final question: I can see that I can upgrade to a 5 micron bag for the Rockler system. Is that good enough to NOT have to wear a respirator? If not, is there a different filter I can add so that I won't have to wear one?

Thanks for the help so far, I know these are very basic questions.

FYI, ths WEN dust collector is comparable to the Harbor Freight unit, and can be purchased through Lowes, Home Depot, or online.

https://wenproducts.com/products/1500-cfm-16-amp-5-micron-woodworking-dust-collector-with-50-gallon-collection-bag-and-mobile-base

I did not go so far as to research delivery times.

You may want to consider a separator as well. Makes emptying the dust so much easier. Downside is you lose a little cfm. For me it was worth it.  I have a similar dc (delta 50-760) and  I made a one using a garbage can with a thien baffle. 

Also I would still wear a respirator. You won’t capture 100% of the dust and depending on the tool and how well the DC was designed it could be quite significant. 

One more point to toss in. If you have the option to exhaust outside, add a separator and route the exhaust outside with no filter. The flow is vastly better this way, and even a simple separator will keep anything visible from blowing out, unless you over fill the container. Also, you have to allow make-up air into the shop, so HVAC may be affected.

As for as a .5 micron bag I’m going to say no. Get the wynn canister filter. A bag filter gives you like 30 sf of filter area and the wynn canister gets you 220 sf of filter area st the same micron level. Its easier to clean and will not clog as often. 

https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/

i second the separator idea. 

here’s my set up

3hp

2 canister filters 

cyclone

6” duct

30 gal can to collect dust

7DBA6833-AFF5-4454-BDE0-29861EE673F8.jpeg

• Like 2