Cleaning up glue squeeze-out between clamps and wood

I was gluing up several strips of wood into a cutting board this weekend and I got everything lined up, clamped up, cauled up, and glued up. While the board came out pretty good I did have a lot of glue cleanup to do where the clamps and cauls were holding the wood. Is there a good way to handle this? I've just been using a chisel and sanding but that doesn't always work out well. And I've got some new clamps I don't want to ruin with glue and rust.

I am similar to Coop but I alternate clamps.  Maybe 3 on one side and 2 on the other depending on the size of the panel or cutting board.  I scrap of excess glue with a putty knife getting to it as soon as possible.  After I get the bulk of it cleaned up I go back and remove one clamp at a time to get the final squeeze out cleaned up.

• Like 1

When I have glue in areas I cant sand, I let it dry for an hour or 2. flexible at this point. Then I carefully clean it ups with chisels and carving knives. When I wipe it when it is fresh I end up filling the wood and the finish shows it.

• Like 1

I just run cutting boards through the planer. Makes quick work out squeeze out. I use a chisel to get the big nibs to get it too sit flat first.

But i also use just enough glue to get a tiny bit to squeeze out anything more is just wasted glue and more work.

• Like 1

@Coop, most steel / iron clamp bars will react with the moisture and acetate (the 'A' in PVA) in the glue to leave a stain, just like using steel wool & vinegar does. Pipe clamps using black pipe are terrible about it. I use door shims to hold the pipe off the work piece a little and avoid the staining. On high-tannin species like oak, the stain can go pretty deep.

• Like 1

Good to know Ross, thanks. I’ve used packing tape in the past but it’s a pita. I guess the door shims need to be removed pretty quickly before the glue sets? I have some HDPE that I will cut into thin strips to use in lieu of the shims that might work. 

• Like 1

I put painters tape on the bars of my clamps as well as my pipe clamps. It works well to protect both the work piece and the clamp from the glue. It may not work on all clamps so your mileage may vary.

I have to change the tape every other year or there about.

Closet09.thumb.jpg.e82c831cd3e8d73b31cf69a2ccb9d92f.jpga

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Chestnut, that's what I have been doing but this time the tape came off and glued to my cutting board leaving an awful purple mess. Thankfully that became the bottom side but I think I'm going to have to combine all this advice. Seems like getting to the glue under the clamps after 30 minutes or so is my best bet.

19 hours ago, Cliff said:

I have issues with flatness doing that. Not significant, but enough that the feet I put on the cutting boards need shims to sit flat.

Interesting i have not had that problem. Though I will say i never put feet on my cutting boards, nor juice grooves, not sure if that makes a difference.

I like the 2 sided nature, more time between needing to refresh them.