Cherry and slab wood

treeslayer

I have three suppliers available. The farthest away will bring me out a pallet of boards in the thickness and width of my choice, within reason. The one closest and most expensive, have the widths, pre-stacked, with the lengths marked on the ends. He also has the best selection and is getting into slabs big time with astronomical prices. 

Now, what will your shopping spree produce? 

Well @Coop it’s mostly because I was almost out of wood of any kind, there will be 2 of those folding children’s chairs for gifts, cutting boards and sputles, M&M dispensers for a craft fair my daughter talked me into doing, not excited about doing that but I promised her I would, no interest in slab work at this time, making a trip to Milwaukee next month to visit our son and will meet with his supplier and maybe bring home more 

Nice... I was just in my personal slab yard and realized last night i have WAY too much wood and am not allowed to buy any more. So shame on you for tempting me... :D That's some nice looking cherry.

I'll be the dissenting opinion though. Some times wide boards are as much a hindrance as they are a benefit. I don't find myself needing over 8-10" wide boards in 4//4 thickness. It always hurts ripping 1.5" wide stiles out of a 12"+ wide board. The rift sawn grain on the edges is usually what I'm going for and my tops are usually thicker.

Now if that was a 14" wide 8/4 board I'd be on that like a fat kid on a cake.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:31 AM, Chestnut said:

I'll be the dissenting opinion though. Some times wide boards are as much a hindrance as they are a benefit.

Your not alone in this thinking.  You have to be careful and aware of your cut list or it can end up being a bit wasteful.

But no doubt, they are fun to look at.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 6:02 PM, Chet said:

Your not alone in this thinking.  You have to be careful and aware of your cut list or it can end up being a bit wasteful.

But no doubt, they are fun to look at.

Yeah, but if you stash the exceptional ones for a few years, you'll have a collection, worth more than money.

• Like 1