Epic shaker blanket chest

mdbuilder

On 10/14/2021 at 12:55 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Those pieces look kind of long for standing on end through the saw. Do you do anything special to make them more stable in the sled?

I use the clamp shown + 'clamp' it with a hand hold. The board is vertical and quite stable as long as you move the sled smoothly and make the direction change pulling back out of the cut slowly. If you jerk it a bit yeah, it'll wobble a couple degree's. Just don't do that :lol:

• Thanks 1

When I built mine several years ago, as I am inclined to do, I did a bit of overthinking. I used three where two of the torsion hinges would have sufficed. And being a blanket chest and not a finger smashing toy chest, it gets opened and closed about 6 times a year. 

• Like 1

Yep, thought the same thing. One never knows when another little one might show up after spending 20 years getting rid of the first gen so maybe better safe than sorry. I'll add the strut just for the hell of it.

Makings of a mortising jig for the lid. Raising the blade through a scrap of MDF for the back wall, scrap = to the thickness of the case side cut to the width of the hinge to guide the side cuts.

PXL_20211019_105827002.jpg

• Like 2