Floating-Top Table

Coop

One of these days I will stick my neck out and try the ammonia thIng! As this is going on the patio and although covered, I have reservations on using any conventional finishes. The bench I just built was finished with Starbrite Teak Oil as suggested by Matt Cremona. A couple of other outdoor pieces were finished with Penofin but it turns the wood an orangish tone. Although this wood has a bunch on wonky checks and cracks, it’s actually really nice looking. My first time working with chestnut, er uh, white oak! :D

I’m certainly open for suggestions on the finish. 

• Like 1

I am looking forward to this journal especially considering the lineage of the wood and its un-known history.  I have no problem with long winded descriptions thats how I learn that I have been doing it wrong in the past, or maybe you will provide a technique that will require the purchase of a new tool. 

• Like 1

Thanks Ross. I was cussing this stuff big time at first and now, I wish I had more of it! Like the next to last pic, the layers were separating and the block with the two clamps were holding a glue up to hold them together but the stuff has character! I believe the off cut scraps hold a spurtle or two in it’s future! 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 7:48 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Pefect mix of craftsmanship and slightly imperfect materials.

I was thinking something along these same lines when I was looking at the picture of the epoxy fill.   Sometimes we can try and be to selective with lumber and don't realize that something beautiful is staring us in the face.  I am really looking forward to the outcome.

• Like 2