Next Shop Questions

Mark J

11 hours ago, Tom King said:

I was thinking this was planning from the start with a blank slate.  Do you already have the land, and attached garage has to be limited in size? 

Well, yes and no.  We're talking to a couple of builders that are doing housing developments.  We'd be modifying existing plans, and the lots are already divided.  So there are limitations.  In fact, the 3rd car garage add ons they've been doing are more like 12 x 40, and I don't think an exterior basement access has been done, either, unless it's a walkout lot.

On 10/14/2022 at 6:47 PM, Ronn W said:

A possible suggestion on locating your table saw.  I have only 15" width so I put my cabinet saw against the wall.  Right side against the wall.  I get full use of my fence travel and I have never had to move it.  I have no need to walk around both sides of the saw.  I don't think I have seen others do this but it works for me and saves space.

P1010008.thumb.JPG.06b754168a5cd5f143edca7db1f90545.JPG

P1010002.thumb.JPG.7d8d70ca66c6faf605efedf96051a469.JPG

How do you cut 8' length  or 10', 12',  or longer boards?

Correct you dont use the right side unless you néed the end to use the router table...

With the router to the left you extended tge with cutting capacity which is good for sheet goods..

On 10/14/2022 at 7:22 PM, Coop said:

@Ronn W, is your drum sander on a mobile base? 

Yes, It came with that base.  Luckily the sander feed belt is about 1/4" higher than the TS top so sander outfeed can go over the TS.

On 10/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, Mark J said:

is your router table free standing, or is it integral to the TS? 

My router table is a freestanding cabinet like a kitchen base cabinet.  Same units of the outfeed side of the table saw.

On 10/15/2022 at 9:27 AM, BillyJack said:

How do you cut 8' length  or 10', 12',  or longer boards?

For cross cuts on long boards.  I do have 8' to the left of the TS blade but I usually mark my rough cross cuts and start close to the center  of the board length.  If the board is longer than about 9'  feet I have to use the jig saw in the garage to get the board into the basment.  For sheet goods, I put a sheet to styrofoam on the garage floor and use the old Skil saw.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 7:37 PM, Coop said:

y dc to my ts but it is strategically located and not in the way. 

Sure wish that my post was stragecally locacted.  I did luck out tho. Whn I deisgn the router table off the left end of the talbe saw I was able to locate the center of the router so that when using the router fence with a bearing on the router bit the wood that I was routing clears the post by about 1".

Yeah, kerosene and propane are wet when they burn. With any other style of heater, there is not enough vapor in winter to cause any major issues unless you don’t use some form of protectant. Wax works fine here, 50 miles east of Chicagoland. Personally, I don’t like the shop out of the 55° range unless I am trying to put on finish. That temp of air doesn’t pick up a ton of atmospheric moisture anyway. Honestly, radiant heaters heat the tools also, if you have them where the tools are. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1