My first solo project : a wooden bar (ash olive tree) !

Greetings, Paul! I moved your post to the video project showcase sub-forum, as that seemed more appropriate. 

You say this is your first solo project, yet the video is obviously shot in a commercial workshop. Are you employed there, or were you allowed to use the facility as an 'outsider'?

I have never heard of 'ash olive'. Is that a European or Asian species, or did you mean a combination of ash and olive woods?

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 12:37 PM, JohnG said:

Why is that concerning?

When you say it’s my first build and have commercial equipment, it’s fishy..

it could be someone else’s shop. He just isn’t clear on his “ first solo build”

There is nothing wrong with asking for info on a user..

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 5:15 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Greetings, Paul! I moved your post to the video project showcase sub-forum, as that seemed more appropriate. 

You say this is your first solo project, yet the video is obviously shot in a commercial workshop. Are you employed there, or were you allowed to use the facility as an 'outsider'?

I have never heard of 'ash olive'. Is that a European or Asian species, or did you mean a combination of ash and olive woods?

Thank you ! i'll put my post in the right section in the future :)

I'm an apprentice, this is my boss's shop he lets me work there ! And ash olive is a variety of regular ash the only difference is that its heart is brown, this is a european type of wood i guess ( i'm from the middle of france) :D

On 12/26/2022 at 12:43 AM, BillyJack said:

The shop is concerning as it has commercial equipment..

I'm an apprentice, this is my boss's shop :)

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2022 at 1:21 PM, Tpt life said:

It did not take much time to find the word apprentice in the linked account. Yes, beginners can come through well equipped shops. 
Welcome to the forums!

Yes as u saw on the link i'm an apprentice this is not my shop (even tho i would like to haha)

On 12/26/2022 at 3:58 PM, BillyJack said:

I was an apprentice between 1983-1985…

Damn sir, i hope i'll have as much experience and skill as you someday :)

On 12/26/2022 at 8:04 PM, BillyJack said:

When you say it’s my first build and have commercial equipment, it’s fishy..

it could be someone else’s shop. He just isn’t clear on his “ first solo build”

There is nothing wrong with asking for info on a user..

sorry i wasnt clear in my post, by solo project i mean i made the plan and i did it alone for my family, this is my boss shop :)

• Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 12:08 PM, le bolay furniture said:

I'm an apprentice, this is my boss's shop he lets me work there ! And ash olive is a variety of regular ash the only difference is that its heart is brown, this is a european type of wood i guess ( i'm from the middle of france) :D

This stuff? https://www.wood-database.com/olive-ash/

Looks great, I love ash both to work and the look.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 9:18 PM, Mark J said:

@le bolay furniture, it looks like well done piece, sir.  You are rightfully proud, and I hope your boss took notice.  Welcome to the forum, we're looking forward to your future comments, questions and creations. :)

Thank you very much Mark i means a lot to me, my boss took notice and was very happy (tho i asked him to grade it and he gave me a 12/20) he saw all the process and the mistakes i made, plus on the pic or the video we dont see the little finishing problems, but i'm all right with this grade i agree with it actually, it gives me plenty room to get better :D will surely post my next projects and questions in here thanks! :D

On 12/27/2022 at 12:21 AM, BonPacific said:

This stuff? https://www.wood-database.com/olive-ash/

Looks great, I love ash both to work and the look.

yes sir this is the one ! i love it as well, we use it top make stairs where i'm at, it's so beautiful !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...