Floating Shelvs the Hard Way

Chestnut

I did something similar last year building a mantle for my daughter's house, although it was more torsion box In design.  The purpose was the same as your's, to keep things light.

Your vacuum system would have been nice for the glue ups.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chet said:

Your vacuum system would have been nice for the glue ups.

I've wanted a system like this for a while. I really like using shop veneer for projects it adds a different design and material use ability that is a lot harder with full thickness wood. I"m sure most are familiar with my shop veneer drawer fronts.

I can see right now that I'm going to have to have one of those vacuum bagging systems.  I'm sure you researched them before ordering, so if it's not too much trouble if you could provide a link it would be Much appreciated.

Hope the little one is feeling better.  We remember raising children as the most fun we ever had, but situations like illness have faded from memory that is easily recalled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both the bag and press were ordered from VacuPress https://www.vacupress.com/product-category/vacupress-pumps/

I got the 300 pump as it's rated to remove enough air from a bag large enough for a 4' x 8' panel fast enough so the glue doesn't set.

I also got my bag from them. I went with a vinyl bag as I'll be pretty gentle on it as a hobbyist. https://www.vacupress.com/vacuum-pressing-purchase-bags/  The bag i got was the 54" x 112". It comes with closures for both ends. A side benefit is one end closure can be moved to make the bag bigger or smaller if your pressing needs change. Width is unchangeable.

Total cost was $917 after tax and shipping. Shipping was $60.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nice work on the shelf panels! I'm looking forward to seeing your bracket solution,that is always a challenge.

I'm going to basically use the method they used for the mantel in this episode of TOH. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQyZX1sg38 Due to the size and expected weight that will be placed on the shelf I'm going to modify things a tiny bit just to hopefully add some strength. I'm worried about the flex for a long, long grain joint in a kitchen setting.

There are 5 shelves in total and 3 of them will be able to be installed the same was as the flanking shelves in that episode.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Those came out quite wrll, Drew. Kudos for getting everything to fit correctly into the existing 'blind' spaces!

There were some tricks i used to make that work. I should have covered the install. The spaces were measured and i built all of the shelves an inch longer than the space they were getting installed into. This allowed me to scribe them to the angles the walls made which were not even close to 90. and fit them in perfectly. I had less wiggle room on the long shelves for various reasons but i ended up getting the length perfect.

On a side note the cabinets he installed were from Ikea and i have to say they are pretty dang nice cabinets for the money he spent. All of the hinges and drawer slides are blum. The finish is super durable, we tested it accidentally. I guess the install was extremely easy as well.

• Like 2