Repair on drum shells

drtom

Hey Woodmasters,

I'm restoring a set of wood bongos and hope you can help me.

The stave shells had several splits I've managed to repair, but the finish still needs work.

The finish has worn through due to rubbing against a stand (my best guess). At its worst, the wood has worn as well.  I'm hoping to just touch up the two spots and avoid having to completely strip and refinish. Can this be done? If so, how?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

bongos.jpg

bongos2.jpg

• Like 2

First, welcome to the forum, @drtom!  As for spot finish on your drums, it would be helpful to know what the original finish is. Judging only from the clarity of the film, I would guess it is not oil-based. And how it appears cracked around the worn spot indicates a hard film. Reasonable assumption would be a lacquer of some sort, as these finishes are common for musical instruments. If you can determine that it is lacquer, you might get away with cleaning up the damaged area and spraying new finish where needed. Lacquer is borne in a solvent that allows it to 'melt in' to a previous coat of the same lacquer.

I'm not a finish repair expert, so I suggest waiting for a few more opinions before you take action.

• Like 2

On 8/14/2023 at 3:45 AM, wtnhighlander said:

First, welcome to the forum, @drtom!  As for spot finish on your drums, it would be helpful to know what the original finish is.

Thank you!

I've contacted the manufacturer regarding exactly that and am waiting for their response.  In the meantime, I'll get a hold of some linseed oil, acetone, etc. and try to figure it out on my own.

On 8/14/2023 at 5:45 AM, Mark J said:

It looks to me like the wood at the wear spots will need sanding, which is going to make a spot repair of the finish difficult. 

Yes, that occurred to me.  The wood is worn enough that even if a perfect repair is done on the finish, a close look will reveal the flaw there.  Oh well.  :(

Any suggestions on minimizing the flaw?

Might try paint stripper on the bottom and see what it looks like. With all the beading detail on the sides you might never get it completely sanded so chemical stripper and judicious hand sanding on the damaged area might be the way to go. If you know of any furniture refinishers nearby you might see about getting them dunked in the strip tank.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 4:52 PM, wtnhighlander said:

I still lean toward it being NOT an oil-based poly, it just isn't amber enough. Possibly a water borne poly, though. Unless you want to strip it completely, like Gary suggested, this might be a good time to clean up a small area and run a test. 

You're right that it's quite clear.  I've applied acetone and it just beaded up.  I also tried boiled linseed oil and had the same results.  Is that what you mean about a test?  Think I didn't word my previous post very well.

No, I mean to take the best guess at a matching finish, and apply a small amount to see how it compares. The damage needs to be cleaned up anyway, so I would sand a small spot clean, and try the finish. If it doesn't match, at least you won't have to re-sand the  entire area.

I have used General Finishes 'High Performance' water borne poly, but only in satin sheen. It is quite durable, I assume their gloss version would be as well. I have also attempted to use Minwax Ploycrylic, but was not impressed.

Hi, professional musician here. Those are not tone wood frames and need nothing special on them. Drum frames stay raw in Africa. The only part of those drums that need special treatment is the heads. The frames are simple open tubes. Stripping to refinish will not take any more time than repair experimentation. A quick sand for key in, and something to protect from hand oils. They crack due to unequal moisture movement when humidity varies a ton. These come from permanently humid areas. They are rarely finished on the interior. That leads to moisture moving unequally. Don’t overthink it. You are truly just protecting from hand oils. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the owner of the bongos has had a change of heart.  Now the job is to strip these down to bare wood, stain and refinish.

Because of the beaded surface I'm not sure how to get all the finish is removed.  Suggestion would be most appreciated.

Also, because of the beads and the round surface I really don't know how to get the finish to not run and drip in one direction or another.  Hopefully more experienced woodworkers can share some insight.

If I were doing that job, my choice would be Minwax 'Tung Oil Finish'. It is a wiping varnish / oil blend that is very easy to apply in thin coats to avoid runs, yet builds to a nice gloss, usually in 3 to 4 coats. Even at 4 coats, the film is thin enough to not look like a plastic coating, but is pretty durable, once cured. Drying time is the biggest drawback of any oil-based finish, IMO.

• Like 1

If you have access to a spray gun setup, lacquer is very fast drying and can be applied thin.  Other finishes can be sprayed, too.

Got an old rotisserie?  Or a lathe that will turn under 60 rpm?  Revolving the piece slowly can keep drips from forming.

As suggested, wipe on varnish, particularly a thick gel formula, e.g. Bartley. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2023 at 1:29 PM, wtnhighlander said:

The fastest way I know to remove a hard film finish is to use a card scraper. Chemical strippers are slow, and often damage the surface anyway, so you will likely need to a fair amount of sanding in either case.

I did look into scrapers, but the recessed beads seem like a challenge to get at.

Tried Citristrip on the center block (small piece that joins the two shells) and had poor results.  After three overnight applications covered with plastic the finish still not completely stripped.

This is not going well.

• Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/2/2023 at 3:52 AM, wtnhighlander said:

If I were doing that job, my choice would be Minwax 'Tung Oil Finish'. It is a wiping varnish / oil blend that is very easy to apply in thin coats to avoid runs, yet builds to a nice gloss, usually in 3 to 4 coats. Even at 4 coats, the film is thin enough to not look like a plastic coating, but is pretty durable, once cured. Drying time is the biggest drawback of any oil-based finish, IMO.

I'll definitely look into this.  Would you apply each layer in sections or to the whole shell (inside and out)?

• Like 1